what safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethas

So I recently took over as the office manager for a small company. They have no safety protocol at all. No safety manual, no employee manual, no safety meeting notes, nothing, nothing, nothing.

I have said a few things, but it is worse than talking to a brick wall. "This is the way we have always done it" is the typical response to everything.

So, what happens when all hell breaks loose, am I the one responsible?

nakulak

if you want to be a truly effective manager, it can be very helpful to learn the language that is most effective in achieving the desired results. You are talking to a brick wall because you have not learned the language that would assist you in your goal. example:

- I was looking at ways to save us money, and (after talking to your insurance provider) I can get save us xxx$$ on our yearly insurance if we have the foremen do a 15 min safety meeting once a week - do you think its worthi it ? Also, for what its worth, it might relieve us of some liability from potential lawsuits from crazy employees, like the one that sued you for $200,000.00 a couple years ago !

sethas

I think sometimes brick walls are brick walls.

The last manager left to start his own company, im quickly learning why, and am also in the process of getting my license.

Here is an example.....Some of our vans do not have ladder racks, and cannot therefore carry anything over maybe an 8' ladder. I suggested a ladder rack to avoid multiple trips, and multiple people where not needed. We don't need a ladder, we have always done it this way......One of the past employees tripped getting out of one of the vans, over some emt. I made a suggestion for a conduit carrier on the rooftop. Oh, he was an idiot, and 250 for that, thats just to much money.

Idiots!

I really just want to know where I stand in the legal train???

Should I be getting all my suggestions in writing? By the way we don't have access to the computer. We might play solitaire all day!

wawireguy

I think you are fine as long as you're not the owner and you don't hold the admin license. The owner is responsible for safety the way I see it. You report to him. He creates the rules. You just enforce them. If it's not your admin license your not really resposible for the electrical work either. That's my take on it.

buldogg

So I recently took over as the office manager for a small company. They have no safety protocol at all. No safety manual, no employee manual, no safety meeting notes, nothing, nothing, nothing.

I have said a few things, but it is worse than talking to a brick wall. "This is the way we have always done it" is the typical response to everything.

So, what happens when all hell breaks loose, am I the one responsible?

I wonder what OSHA would have to say about the lack of safety training if anyone was seriously hurt

480sparky

Managers are people who do things right, while leaders are people who do the right thing.
............................................................................................................................-Warren Bennis

Status
Not open for further replies.