do you know where and why...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

I'm gonna put a new disconnect outside for a customer.
At this time he's got a CT meter on a pole so he want means of shutting power off at the house with an outside disconnect.
I'm gonna run 2" IMC to a 2" tee, then from bottom of tee to disconnect , tee will be back to back with panel inside the box. 200 amp service.
I showed the inspector my drawing and conduit fill calculations and he agreed with everything but the disconnect.
He said that as long as it was a Non-fuse disconnect it was ok, but that i couldn't use a disconnect with a main breaker.
He wants a disc. either with a side handle of inside pull handle.
Oh he said that if i put the disconnect a little farther from the panel i could use the one with the main breaker instead.( I'll ask him again thursday but i wanted to know you all's in-puts)

Does anybody know where that is in NEC, and the reason why is so?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There is no such requirement in the NEC.

Roger

Charlie Bob

Talked to inspector he said that you can't have fused (ocp) wires along with non fused wires in the same coonduit, he said is a violation of the NEC.
I don't know where though he did'nt said.
Nakulak: I'd love to but how you do that with the computer?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Talked to inspector he said that you can't have fused (ocp) wires along with non fused wires in the same coonduit, he said is a violation of the NEC.
I don't know where though he did'nt said.
Nakulak: I'd love to but how you do that with the computer?

He is right, but I didn't get that out of your first post, for his reference see 230.7.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am still not sure he is completely right though, are you talking about "Service Entrance Conductors"? In any case, the fuses verses breaker doesn't change anything so he is wrong concerning that.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.