AFCI and smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhite

Section 210.12 NEC requires AFCI on outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms. Smoke detectors as required in a bedroom on a seperate circuit would be an outlet by definition.Is it the intent of the code to include smoke detectors on an AFCI? I suppose the rational would be the battery back-up would allow continous service if the power supply was interupted by the AFCI......? What is the correct call to make ?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If a smoke detector is powered by AC, and is installed in a dwelling unit bedroom, then the intent is that the circuit feeding that outlet be protected by an AFCI device. I do not know what you mean by separate circuit. The smoke detector, the lights, and the receptacles can all be on the same circuit.

mlnk

The AFCI exception is in writing in the local code. The local AHJ has ultimate authority. Every EC takes the risk that a fire may start in a job they worked on. It may be material failure or misuse--we try to make sure it is not installer error. That is why we not only follow the code, but also follow superior practice in the trade. We start with hazardous wiring or smoldering boxes and repair the wiring per code to make it safe. The amazing thing is that I constantly see amateur wiring that is clearly dangerous. Hackers create risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.