Arc flash Analysis Ownership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim M

What is the effective date requiring arc flash anlysis to be performed on panels? 2002 or Jan 1, 2009?

If I lease the building is the property owner responsible for doing the analysis or am I?

If I want one of my employees to work on a panel that is owned by the property owner am I responsible for the analysis at that point or the property owner?

Can I use the generic arc flash warning label and not the detailed label?

ron

What is the effective date requiring arc flash anlysis to be performed on panels? 2002 or Jan 1, 2009?
OSHA requires compliance with nationally recognized standards, so I'm not sure when it showed up in NFPA 70E, maybe 2002.

If I lease the building is the property owner responsible for doing the analysis or am I?
The property owner is not required, as he/she may not be working on or near energized parts.

If I want one of my employees to work on a panel that is owned by the property owner am I responsible for the analysis at that point or the property owner?
You as the employer are responsible.

ron

The NEC (NFPA 70) requires the generic label.
NFPA 70E now requires the detailed label. Generally NFPA 70E is only enforced by OSHA and they show up after an accident.

zog

I disagree with you that OSHA enforces NFPA 70E. I believe it is up to the company if they want to hold themselves to the NFPA 70E.

The company is required per OSHA general duty clasuse to protect workers from hazards on the job, and that means following recognized standards, like the 70E. OSHA has and will cite employers for not following the 70E. OSHA has issued millions if not billions of dollars worth of fines for failure to follow 70E, you better re-think your policies.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
But the panel marking thing's in the National Electrical Code, Art. 110.16 (which refers to 70E)--so look to the AHJ, not OSHA.

In the 2009 edition, 70E now requires equipment to be labeled with the amount of incident energy (cal/cm?) or the required PPE (HRC). The NEC simply requires a general 'warning' label.

wtucker

In the 2009 edition, 70E now requires equipment to be labeled with the amount of incident energy (cal/cm?) or the required PPE (HRC). The NEC simply requires a general 'warning' label.

True, but 70E isn't part of the NEC. OSHA can't fine you for violating 70E, but the AHJ will hold up your certificate of occupancy if your locality has adopted the NEC.

zog

True, but 70E isn't part of the NEC.

NEC is NFPA 70, the 70E is an extension of the NEC, heck the 70E says NEC on the cover

OSHA can't fine you for violating 70E

Wrong, they have and they will. OSHA requires you to follow industry standards and will cite you vis the general duty clause for not protecting your workers from arc flash hazards, the industry standard for doing that is the 70E. The ex-chairman of the 70E is now the head of OSHA's compliance for electrical.

Here are a few examples of OSHA fines for not following industry standards for arc flash protection, there are hundreds more. http://oshachannel.com/violations.htm

Then you get the 3rd party lawsuits, you can also be sued for not protecting workers from arc flash hazards if they get injured. IBM was recently sued for $9,500,000 for an arc flash accident that happened to a contractor working on thier site. Which is why you not only need to protect your workers but also ensure contractors on your site are following 70E, many companies pre-qualify contractors after they saw what happened to IBM.

The company is required per OSHA general duty clasuse to protect workers from hazards on the job, and that means following recognized standards, like the 70E. OSHA has and will cite employers for not following the 70E. OSHA has issued millions if not billions of dollars worth of fines for failure to follow 70E, you better re-think your policies.

Quote from OSHA reply to interpretation clarification:
Reply: As noted above, OSHA has not conducted a rulemaking to adopt the requirements of the latest edition of NFPA 70E and, therefore, does not "enforce" those requirements. However, industry consensus standards, such as NFPA 70E, can be used by OSHA and employers as guides in making hazard analyses and selecting control measures.

zog

Quote from OSHA reply to interpretation clarification:
Reply: As noted above, OSHA has not conducted a rulemaking to adopt the requirements of the latest edition of NFPA 70E and, therefore, does not "enforce" those requirements. However, industry consensus standards, such as NFPA 70E, can be used by OSHA and employers as guides in making hazard analyses and selecting control measures.

OSHA requires you to protect workers the best you can from all hazards, inclusing arc flash. So what else would you use for setting up an arc flash program other than the 70E in the US?

I agree it is not directly enforced (Yet, until the next OSHA revision) but you can be cited per the general duty clause.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
NEC is NFPA 70, the 70E is an extension of the NEC, heck the 70E says NEC on the cover ...
In no way is NFPA 70E a part of NFPA 70. It is a totally separate document and is not enforceable by an AHJ. I don't even see it as an extension of NFPA 70E. They are not really related to each other. One is an installation code and the other is a safety standard.

thosey

In no way is NFPA 70E a part of NFPA 70. It is a totally separate document and is not enforceable by an AHJ. I don't even see it as an extension of NFPA 70E. They are not really related to each other. One is an installation code and the other is a safety standard.

You are correct. The NFPA 70E (Standard of Electrical Safety in the work place) is not part of NFPA 70 (National Electric Code). All states and communities have accepted the NEC as defacto standard code and in some cases enforce a bit stronger. Example of this is that some inspectors want recepticals with ground up and some down. As you said the NEC is code for installation and the other is just a safety standard. Osha only sites this as a reference and has no subparts that state that you need to run Arc Flash calculations or require labeling of your equipment. This is just a standard that one may follow. I personally following this standard and am currently using an outside engineering firm to collect data, calculate the correct Calories, help us select PPE and place labeling in 68 facilities within my corporation. Also I am having every maintence individual tested and must pass the test with a 70% to work on electrical equipment by themselves. The test part is because of OSHA 1926.32(M): "Qualified" means one who, by possession of a recognized degree, certificate, or professional standing, or who by extensive knowledge, training, and experience, has successfully demonstrated his ability to solve or resolve problems relating to the subject matter, the work, or the project. Yes I am in charge of spending a pretting penny on this.
A little bit on labeling. Yes the NEC now calls out for labeling on equipment. But this only pertains to new installations and is a very generic label. You do not need to go back and label equipment that was previously installed. Example of this is that the NEC calls for GFCI's in Kitchens. But unless you rewire or do work on the kitchen with a new installation then you do not need to put in GFCI's in a kitchen that was covered under a previous code. Same goes for NFPA 79 Electrical standard for industrial machinary. If a machine was wired in 1979 then you go by that code until you upgrade the machine. Then you need to bring the machine into compliance under the new regulations.
Now what OSHA will site you for is under the General Duty Clause. This is a $4500 fine for the first offence and may be in such a form as not having ppe available. This happened recently to one of my facilities. They wrote a PO very quickly to get under my umbrella with the AF program.

In another post someone put the link for an interpretation on AF from OSHA and it states basically that OSHA does not enforce. Here is another one that is newer. It basically states that you need to use PPE.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25973

The following are links from OSHA?s website on fines dealing with Arc Flash.

Zap Electrical Contractors 2006 $1500
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=308619733&citation_id=01001

Bell Electrical Contractors 2006 $2500
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=309917524&citation_id=01001A

Anderson Sales and Salvage Inc. 2005 $2500
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=308999226&citation_id=01001

Van Ert Electrical Enterprises 2005 $4500
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=306798679&citation_id=01001

Kestrel Management L.P. 2005 $1375
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=307528547&citation_id=01001

Best in Plastics corporation 2003 $1125
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=304363559&citation_id=01001A

Showa Aluminum Corporation 2003 $4500
http://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/establishment.violation_detail?id=305434243&citation_id=01001

Now after my long winded statements and citings I have this to say about the original question.

It is the companies responsibilty to see that they self enforce themselves. OSHA is there to oversee and give interpretations and be the tie breaker or even be a reporting agency to file grievance to. OSHA is not the defacto standard and they themselves even offer up interpretations of their own documention. If you are fined by OSHA and do not put up a little bit of a fight then you or your company know that you did nothing to premote safety and it was time for a reality check. If you do fight OSHA then you are stating that you have done due diligance and fighting for your interpretation. In the end it is to premote safety.

zog

Read the foreward of the 70E. While I agree with you that the 70E is not enforcable by an AHJ and the 70 is installation and the 70E is safety there is no doubt they are related to one another.

wtucker

If you do fight OSHA then you are stating that you have done due diligance and fighting for your interpretation. In the end it is to premote safety.

Ah, but Best and Andersen DID fight OSHA, and won! The first line of the documentation says the citations were deleted in informal conference! They didn't even have to contest.

Most of the rest show exposures to 480 V. Zap Electrical (gotta love that name) and Wisconsin Public Service (you call it Van Ert, but the document says it's WPS) were inspected after referrals, and Kestral, after a complaint (a referrral's like a complaint). OSHA looks closely at referrals and complaints, because they don't want to be perceived as doing nothing. Best and Showa's citations both were scheduled, in 2003, before 70E's attention to arc flash PPE was beefed up in '04.

From OSHA's Field Operations Manual, CPL 02-00-148, III.B.2.a:

"General duty clause citations are not intended to allege that the violation is a failure to implement certain precautions, corrective actions, or other abatement measures but rather addresses the failure to prevent or remove a particular hazard. Section 5(a)(1) therefore does not mandate a particular abatement measure but only requires an employer to render the workplace free of recognized hazards by any feasible and effective means the employer wishes to utilize."

By the way, only about 6% of OSHA citations are contested, because employers feel that it costs more to contest than to pay the fine. They don't realize that if they get whacked for a repeated violation in the future, they can multiply the fine by 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.