Power Co. Billing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a commercial client in Anaheim, Ca. who is being charged for the power factor on their bill. Are their any suggestions on how eliminate this cost? 2000amp, 480/277 vac, 3 phase.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There are folks who make a living doing just that. Often the installation of power factor correction capacitors can reduce/elimanate the problem.
The power companies themselves often offer studies and assistance.
This site may help:
http://www.abb-control.com/pdf/promo/AC1503.pdf

Last edited:
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=116649

try this link.
If you also search under powerfactor correction there has been several good postings.

From the other guys on here that have given me a hand with this subject matter, it is best to go with a CAL system (Capacitor At Location) vs a large capacitor bank at the incoming power feed. Once again from what I have read, the large capacitor banks can cause issues throughout the rest of your system, and by the time you add the filtering devices, and other essentials, it ends up costing as much as a CAL system. I would look at investing in a power analyzer, and hooking up to each suspected machine, and getting some data, and seeing if you can isolate where your big PF problems are and tackle them one at a time.
My facility had approx. 40 moldng machines, and we get hit with $1200/ month penalties (4% of bill). Also, with the low powerfactor, your apparent power usage goes up, thus your peak demand charge ends up going up and costing you quite a bit.
I personally am in the process of logging every machine to see where are hot spots are to tackle first. It can be a long process, but in the long run, save a ton of money!
good luck:)

zog

We have a commercial client in Anaheim, Ca. who is being charged for the power factor on their bill. Are their any suggestions on how eliminate this cost? 2000amp, 480/277 vac, 3 phase.

May not be worth the investment for a system this small

drbond24

Power factor correcting capacitors are the way to go, but you should compare the cost of the installation with the amount of the penalty your customer is paying. If the penalty is small, it may be cheaper to just pay it than to install new equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.