renting a masters license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4str

I am a journeyman in coos bay, oregon and I want to go into business for myself. The problem is that I'm not eligible to take the oregon supervisors (our version of a master) test for 5 years. I've heard of shops using someone else's supervisors card. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Rewire

I am a journeyman in coos bay, oregon and I want to go into business for myself. The problem is that I'm not eligible to take the oregon supervisors (our version of a master) test for 5 years. I've heard of shops using someone else's supervisors card. What are your guys thoughts on this?

Wait five years pass the test then go into business.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
In NC the Qualifier (License holder) would basically have to be employed by the company and he/she could not be working anywhere else during the hours his/her license was in use for the company. After working hours he/she could use his/her license for other ventures.

Roger

j4str

That would be fine with me. I just want to put myself to work and not hire anyone. I'm also willing to pay good money. I just don't know what something like this goes for

Dolfan

I agree with Mr. Ozarks, get your license, have control. Believe it or not, it's the easiest part of being in business. Do all the research now before you make the commitment. Start making contacts, saving money, writing a business plan, etc. I put together a contractor/qualifier deal a couple of years ago. The guy's license had been inactive for more than 5 years. He's getting 1000.00 a month, with no % of the business. My friend would like to have his own license, but he's to wraped up in trying to run the business to find time to do it.

j4str

so do you want a business or a job?

Don't put words in my mouth. There is a big difference between what I'm talking about and a boss. A supervisor might have final say on some things but I doubt he would tell me when and where to be, how to run my business or which hand to use to piss with.

And believe me. I know what's entailed in running a buisness. I've been planning this mu entire apprenticeship. And I already do 2 side businesses. I am a general contractor and do custom powder coating. Albeit those are small jobs I use them as a learning experience

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't put words in my mouth. There is a big difference between what I'm talking about and a boss. A supervisor might have final say on some things but I doubt he would tell me when and where to be, how to run my business or which hand to use to piss with.

And believe me. I know what's entailed in running a buisness. I've been planning this mu entire apprenticeship. And I already do 2 side businesses. I am a general contractor and do custom powder coating. Albeit those are small jobs I use them as a learning experience
Then I guess you already know what you are going to do. 5 years after you got your journeymans that seems too long. Some college might bring thatnumber down.

mtnelectrical

And who is responsible to get the insurances, if there is some problems. And why the guy did not get any % of the profit. It is thanked to him that the business exits. I don't know it looks to complicated. But anyway that is illegal here in New Jersey.

bradleyelectric

And who is responsible to get the insurances, if there is some problems. And why the guy did not get any % of the profit. It is thanked to him that the business exits. I don't know it looks to complicated. But anyway that is illegal here in New Jersey.

The business owner is usually responsible for business insurance and all other business expenses. Employees often don't get a % of the profit. It is also thanks to the bookkeeper the business exists. It's only complicated if you make it seem so.

j4str

Then I guess you already know what you are going to do. 5 years after you got your journeymans that seems too long. Some college might bring thatnumber down.

I'm confused by what you mean by this. In oregon you must have worked in the field as a jw for 5 years. I am a bran new jw. So therfore I have 5 years to wait unless I can find someone to sign for me

Status
Not open for further replies.