Panel is full - can I add a subpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmiller

I have a 480 panel at work. Its a 800amp main. The connected load is probably right around 25% of that. I have run out of breaker locations on this particular panel. What are my options ?

1. Can I remove a breaker and replace it with a larger one to feed a sub-panel?

2. Could I install larger breaker and run a couple of fused disconnects from it for my extra loads ?

3. Listen to what the professionals have to say ?

I like #3 the best

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have a 480 panel at work. Its a 800amp main. The connected load is probably right around 25% of that. I have run out of breaker locations on this particular panel. What are my options ?

Yes you can.

2. Could I install larger breaker and run a couple of fused disconnects from it for my extra loads ?
Yes you can.

I like #3 the best
Well, the depends on the professional(s) you have answering your questions. ;)

Roger

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

I like #3 the best
Depending on the budget I would add a load center. Sized appropriately. Take into account current load and future loads. Take into account if the system is series rated or not for fault current . Purchase appropriate fault rated
equipment.

Do you have pictures. Those are always nice to have?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.