Florida ER License Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlAshcraft

I recently obtained my Florida ER license in the county that I reside. The primary focus for my business is Home Theater Installations, we currently hold a state certified low voltage license to cover us for these installs. The reason I obtained this license was to be able to install the ocassional electrical outlet needed for flat panel TV installs and projector installs. I don't really have any plans of using the ER license for construction projects, only service work and retro work. The question is, if I am installing a TV outside of the county that I hold the ER license in would I be able to still install an electrical outlet for this TV or am I only able to do electrical work in the county that I hold the ER license in?

ohmhead

I recently obtained my Florida ER license in the county that I reside. The primary focus for my business is Home Theater Installations, we currently hold a state certified low voltage license to cover us for these installs. The reason I obtained this license was to be able to install the ocassional electrical outlet needed for flat panel TV installs and projector installs. I don't really have any plans of using the ER license for construction projects, only service work and retro work. The question is, if I am installing a TV outside of the county that I hold the ER license in would I be able to still install an electrical outlet for this TV or am I only able to do electrical work in the county that I hold the ER license in?

Well i hold a ER masters in orlando iam told its good in most countys but i work for a electrical contractor with a state masters so i never use it the state masters is good in any part of florida but the ER master is only good if they accept it in that county and pay for a recpircal you would have to go to the building dept to find out .

bphgravity

As a registered contractor, you registered a local county or municipal certificate of competency with the Electrical Contractors’ Licensing Board to become a state registered contractor. You can only work in the counties or municipalities where you hold that local license.

In order to contract work as an ER license holder in any other jurisdiction from the one you originally registered your license under, you must register you license and business with that jurisdiction and notify the ECLB.

Phossilman

Florida ER License Question

[As a registered contractor, you registered a local county or municipal certificate of competency with the Electrical Contractors? Licensing Board to become a state registered contractor. You can only work in the counties or municipalities where you hold that local license.

In order to contract work as an ER license holder in any other jurisdiction from the one you originally registered your license under, you must register you license and business with that jurisdiction and notify the ECLB.]

True that.

GUNNING

Your not from around here are ya?

Your not from around here are ya?

I had an ER up until a few years ago when I got grandfathered in as an EC. What I ran into was that the counties are grouped together in areas where they recognize and will reciprocate with each other but if you skip over and try to reciprocate with a county that isn't part of that group you cant. What you have to do is find the county that will reciprocate with your county. Go to the building dept and apply. You will need the insurance, work comp, and a copy of both the county and state licenses and , oh yea, your check book. Some counties you will have to appear before the local board to be accepted, some its a rubber stamp.
Generally you will be hazed by the local inspectors till they get to know you. The phrase "your not from around here" and "you new?" will be used with a side long glance. Dont expect to get anything passed for a year on the first call because "your not from around here are ya?"
I found that if I'm traveling that far, the dollars aren't worth the trip.

GUNNING

expectations.

expectations.

Congratulations on the ER. Make sure you put that ER # on everything it will give you credibility and the BPR wont hound ya. Also put stickers in the panels with your name and phone number and lic number. Call backs for tripped breakers are easy money.
When I got my ER I went to the building department and introduced myself and started a conversation as to what they expected of there contractors. I have never had a problem with them. They know that they can call me and I will correct or make good any problems or issues.
Locals like ER's cause it means you are one of them. Which means you get to pay those extra fees and business taxes. A real pillar of the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.