I feel Beat UP!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I see things totally different, our customers respect us for our knowledge and value our input and abilities.

I would agree. There has always been and always will be those that want it at a better price. The percentage may vary a little due to economics, but I believe even then people are going to use the economy as just another excuse. We are finding that as the generator market grows it affects our sales approach and have started selling even more what we offer as a company as much as we sell the product because there are more and more business and dealers that are finding a way to sell it [the product] cheaper. In the midst of it we find just as many or more that are willing to pay a little extrato get the best results as there are those that want pay just as little as possible for the sake of a saved dollar.

Rewire

If they can't find a job where are they going to move on to?
hopefully to another line of work

Are you not a contractor?

So you jumped into the contracting business and in the long run you're still a contractor are you not?

I didn't "jump" into the contracting business thier were several months of planning and preperation before I opened the doors it was not a case of I don't have a job so I will be a contractor as a matter of fact I saved for ten years so I would have capital when I was ready to proceed.I will never be anything else but a contractor until I retire going back to work for someone else is not an option.

e57

I jumped in years ago - 2000/1, and then the dot-com bust happened - I jumped out. At one point people would pay you just to consider showing up - there was that much work and supply was low.... Then the bust, next morning there were EC's answering the phone again.... About the same time - Realized I liked pay checks and benies after a 40 hour week.

And unless someone decides to stop under-cutting themselves and everyone else - I might be jumping back in. And if I do - all the unlicensed and uncertified I had turned a blind eye from in the past had better play by the rules - FAST.

IMO - the gent's out there charging their employed WAGE as hourly billing. Or unlicensed. And those travelling 100 miles from low cost of living land to the Manhattan of the west had better get a biz lic and permits here like I do. Play Apples to Apples.

Bottom line is RICH PEOPLE - are using this to their advantage shopping and price beating Macy's Electric to Walmart Electric, then Walmart Electric to "$1 EVERYTHING MUST GO" Electric. And soon we will all be K-mart Electric if we don't stop it.

jerrysounds

I don't think twice about walking away if the customer tries to low ball me. I thank them for calling and walk. At $68.50 per half an hour on service calls, all I really need is 20 to 30 hours a week to survive. Which I am getting.

beat up but didn't lose

beat up but didn't lose

Hi.

After I spoke to the guy yesterday who owes me money and says he wanted to think about the other cost to do something else, he called me several hours later and hired me. Go figure.

Staticcontrol

hurk27

I got a call to go look at a downed service in Chesterton, about 4 miles from us, a tornado hit there Wednesday nite.

The meter was riped of the wall, the main breaker was pulled apart, riser was pulled through the roof edge. panel buss was bent beyond use, even the back of the panel concentric was pulled apart.

Gave him a price of $1600 which I felt sorry for him and his wife going through the tornado and all the damage he had, but his insurance was paying anyways, but he looked at me, and said can we do it for around $800:mad:

I just walked to my truck with him right behind me, I reached in and grabbed a card from a local car dealer hand handed it to him saying here these people can give you a better deal.

I left and with in an hour he had called my shop 5 times. after installing the new service. he told me he couldn't believe the other places had priced it at $2600-$3700 for the same job, trying to take advantage of the emergency.

We wound up doing 7 service repairs on his block that day, because the neighbors came over and asked him about my pricing.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
After I spoke to the guy yesterday who owes me money and says he wanted to think about the other cost to do something else, he called me several hours later and hired me. Go figure.
Just make sure you don't get hired instead of getting paid.

You don't want to get deeper by the lure of more unpaid-for work.

ivsenroute

I always had a great response when people asked for a discount or told me they could get it cheaper.

1) If you felt comfortable with the cheaper electrician then why are you still calling around.

2) Others with cheaper prices only have price to offer because they don't have the experience, training and reputation that I do. Therefore, that is the only bargaining tool that they have. I maintain licensing, insurance, educational credits and I am busy enough and have a reputation that allows me to charge what I am worth. Are you comfortable going with someone who is so desparate for work that rather than relying on their reputation, they can only suck you in with McDonalds Happy Meal pricing?

GUNNING

$cach-ing$ Missed that bullet!

$cach-ing$ Missed that bullet!

Cheap don't work in the dark. If people have that look of sticker shock I tell them to call three people. It will give them an idea of what the costs really are. There will be a high a low and a median. You don't want the high because they are going to hire the guy that gave you the lower bid. The guy in the middle will know his costs and do a good job because he has done it before.
The ol "I can get it done cheaper" is probably right, and maybe as well done, but it wont be by me.
But if they have any problems they will think, "why didn't I hire that nice helpful polite dude?"
And I will think "Missed that bullet."

Side note: Had someone last year hire me to put up some track lights. Didn't get paid. I'm out $400. Could have been out more.
Just found out they didn't pay the contractor either to the tune of $6000.
Sometimes you just don't want the job but are there because it just might be an opportunity.
Ive been told getting 1 in 10 to 3 in 10 estimates, your prices are just right. You don't want to get 10 in 10. It means your priced too low for your market. Look to your sales data not someone looking for a "deal."

Status
Not open for further replies.