Ungrounded electrical systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2X

I've been reading and trying to understand ungrounded systems, pros and cons, and some history on the grounded system we use in this country and got to the part about undgrounded systems in dairy farms and hospital operating rooms. So i go to work and there in the hospital I been helping remodel for the last 3 months is working isolation system that i can stick my meter in and try to learn something.

So on the regular hospital grade duplex recepticle I get 120 volts between the hot and the normally neutral side, I get 60 volts from the hot side to the ground pin, and 60 from the normally neutral side to the ground pin, also 60 volts each side to the chassis. I'm understanding that the ground is not tied to the neutral and is an earth ground, but what I'm not understanding is how this system prevents electrical shocks, (60 volts), in a wet procedure location? Thanks for all the help..

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Try checking the voltages again, but with a 120v bulb in parallel with the voltmeter. Let us know what you get, and then we'll explain why.

K2X

Thanks Larry. I won't be back out there for at least a week while they are trying to make some decisions etc. but i'll check it out ... I was also wondering why the safety people didn't make a big stink about pulling temporary construction power off these units as they were obviously not gfci'd. They were very watchful on our normal temp power..??

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Could you be working on a system like this?

647.3 General.

Use of a separately derived 120-volt single-phase 3-wire system with 60 volts on each of two ungrounded conductors to a grounded neutral conductor shall be permitted for the purpose of reducing objectionable noise in sensitive electronic equipment locations, provided the following conditions apply:
(1) The system is installed only in commercial or industrial occupancies.
(2) The system?s use is restricted to areas under close supervision by qualified personnel.
(3) All of the requirements in 647.4 through 647.8 are met.
Or this?

647.5 Three-Phase Systems.

Where 3-phase power is supplied, a separately derived 6-phase ?wye? system with 60 volts to ground installed under this article shall be configured as three separately derived 120-volt single-phase systems having a combined total of no more than six disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.