Terminal strips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Some recently - are... UL-1059, most were "recongnized" before - but I guess they ponied up on thier dues.... ;)

And more of the UL 1953 variety are being made DIN rail mountable.

I looked into the din rail TB listing about 5 years ago, I check my most common type and see if they are now listed, thanks for that update.

Also the OPer, the din rail TBs are not that great to use with solid wire. With a lot of stress on the terminal they can come off the rail, you don't get that with stranded being flexible.

e57

I dis-agree - I use them with #12 solid all the time - not a problem. Sure you're not gonna be mashing wires around a lot - as if you are - there are other problems....

gndrod

Din

Din

I looked into the din rail TB listing about 5 years ago, I check my most common type and see if they are now listed, thanks for that update.

Also the OPer, the din rail TBs are not that great to use with solid wire. With a lot of stress on the terminal they can come off the rail, you don't get that with stranded being flexible.

Tom,

Din rails are not UL listed if the one I bought a year ago for LV control is any indication. No stamp on it. I agree on solid wire interconnects being inferior to stranded hookups. Vibration and alignment seem to be the detriment. rbj

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Tom,

Din rails are not UL listed if the one I bought a year ago for LV control is any indication. No stamp on it. I agree on solid wire interconnects being inferior to stranded hookups. Vibration and alignment seem to be the detriment. rbj

Perhaps for the same reason the screws used to mount the DIN rail are not listed.

BTW, I have found slotted DIN rail is suitable for a lot more things than mounting terminal strips and other things that are made to mount on DIN rails. Think of it is a kind of Unistrut that does not need strut nuts. It is cheap and quite sturdy, especially the high hat version.

pfalcon

It's a time/dollar continuum. Large industrial facilities and some major commercial may have terminal strips. The determining factor that helps a lot is the non-tangiable aspect of cost of trouble shooting. Terminal strips save a lot of time in a witch hunt for a problem, in a new place - providing they are "journeyman like installations", not some hack that pushed a fistfull of wires into a box, with a terminal strip "somewhere" in a Hoffman box (4X or stainless)!

We are a large industrial facility and we approve this message.

petersonra said:
Keep in mind that a typical field electrician costs something close to a dollar a minute. Most of the time reducing the amount of field labor is highly cost effective.

Our bean counters continually remind us that production loss of idling an assembly area is 40 to 120 people plus sales loss. So we hear $1000.00 to $5000.00 per minute loss.

hillbilly

Our bean counters continually remind us that production loss of idling an assembly area is 40 to 120 people plus sales loss. So we hear $1000.00 to $5000.00 per minute loss.

Been there, done that, and I sure don't miss it.:)

Doesn't take long to get well done and then burnt out in that kind of pressure cooker.

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.