Pigtails on standard receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotto

Recently pulled permit for a basement remodel and local inspector told me that I need to pigtail off of the NM wiring coming into the work boxes to standard duplex receptacles (standard 20A, 10 receptacle circuit) in lieu of wiring directly to screw terminals per 2008 NEC, which now doesn't allow the use of the receptacle break tabs as means of circuit pass through???

Does anyone know of code supporting this?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

There is nothing in the 2008 NEC that requires that you pigtail the wires supplying a receptacle and not permit the use of the screws on the receptacle for "pass through".

Section 300.13 does requires that the neutral of a multiwire branch circuit not rely on a device connection for continuity such as a receptacle, but this is not a new section.

Chris

e57

Recently pulled permit for a basement remodel and local inspector told me that I need to pigtail off of the NM wiring coming into the work boxes to standard duplex receptacles (standard 20A, 10 receptacle circuit) in lieu of wiring directly to screw terminals per 2008 NEC, which now doesn't allow the use of the receptacle break tabs as means of circuit pass through???

Does anyone know of code supporting this?
Hmmm... Welcome to the forum & FYI get used to people pulling sentaces apart.... But truthfully it is a good way to learn a few things

Splicing to the neutral is only required for neutral conductors in multi-wire - nothing like this in any other code I know of for feed through of circuits in the NEC. However the listing of the device may or may not allow full rated feed through. But that is the device - not out of the code.

"Basement remodel" sounds - residential? "standard 20A, 10 receptacle circuit" One could put 10,000 recepticals on a circuit in residential - not a good idea, but you could.

fotto

Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear, this is not a MWBC circuit, it is 120V 12-2 standard branch run for wall receptacles, and is residential.

I plan to ask the inspector to cite specific code on this. I had heard that at times there is misunderstanding of "multi-outlet" being interpreted as "multi-wire".

Or, possibly he has some issue with the fact that it's going to be 20A breaker/circuit at the subpanel? Even so, my understanding is that UL listed 120V receptacles although rated for 15A are approved for 20A pass-through via the bonding tabs.

If this guy is expecting pigtails off of hot, neutral and ground in new residential construction just to connect a duplex receptacle, there would be a lot of irritated electrical contractors in the county.

ivsenroute

Only REQUIRED for shared neutral, not in your case. Inspector is mistaken.

A GOOD idea to pigtail them. I never do the pass through method.

bobsherwood

a long time ago my boss made it standard to pigtail all recepticals. It works for my, not a problem. At the time we had an "electrician" (dumber than dirt) I watched him pig tail the end of the run!!!! one black, one white and he wire nutted pigtails on it!!! LOL

Rick Christopherson

Even so, my understanding is that UL listed 120V receptacles although rated for 15A are approved for 20A pass-through via the bonding tabs.
I suspect that this is his reason. I had an inspector say the same thing for my own house many years ago, before I was familiar with code. In my case, he specifically stated that it had to be done for 20 amp circuits, but not for 15 amp. It wasn't until years later that I realized that his reasoning must have been the mistaken assumption that the 15 amp devices were not rated for 20 amp pass through.

gndrod

ll pigtails

ll pigtails

Only REQUIRED for shared neutral, not in your case. Inspector is mistaken.

A GOOD idea to pigtail them. I never do the pass through method.

100% agreed here. There is another aspect of parallel pigtailing that goes unnoticed until a branch circuit fails because of through-device back-stab wire hookups. During inspections, open circuit failures are common in quik wired receptacle duplexes prone to moisture. (i.e. basements and laundry areas for one...)

In most cases the retention clip-to-inserted NM wire gets heat-cycled and corroded under heavy current draws from cumulative loads on the same BC related device that eventually erode the series termination joint. If the BC is paralleled pigtailed, this problem is non-existent. The breaker takes the brunt of the circuit current instead. Profit-minded EC's still use the poke-home quik-wire method that can fail as compared to screw head tab connected duplexes.

There is a difference in safety and now AFCI nuisance circuit trouble shooting that can cost a nick in the project overhead margin. Just thought I would mention this to those interested in circuit sustainability. rbj

e57

I suspect that this is his reason. I had an inspector say the same thing for my own house many years ago, before I was familiar with code. In my case, he specifically stated that it had to be done for 20 amp circuits, but not for 15 amp. It wasn't until years later that I realized that his reasoning must have been the mistaken assumption that the 15 amp devices were not rated for 20 amp pass through.
Many years ago recepticals had stab-in openings that accepted #12, and about '93, or '94 they lost the listing to "stab" #12 so they could not be used on 20A circuits. Shortly after, no devices were available for 'stabbing' #12.

FWIW - I pig-tail everything because it IS a much more reliable method. And I'll duck first - in many peoples minds - the practice of stabbing is Hack Work.... ;)

And IMO there would only be one type of screw terminal I would take wiring to as a circuit path - the compression type - not the wire wrap type.

fotto

There may be a local rule/code that requires this to be performed in your jurisdiction. Make sure to find out the local facts before condemning the inspector.

I'll double check that but the building dept told me they follow 2008 NEC, and didn't cite any local deviations.

I'm not 100% against pigtailing these receptacles (just inquiring to understand my options), but 100% against how he told me to do it, which was 6" coming out of original romex in the box, and then another 6" pigtail. That's 12" total wire PER CONDUCTOR which is A LOT of wire to try to stuff in a 20 cu in work box. That's just insane.

There just has to be some misunderstanding between us that I need to get cleared up. Having this additional knowledge from your posts will help me get to the bottom of it.

I'm in NE Ohio BTW as info.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
That's 12" total wire PER CONDUCTOR which is A LOT of wire to try to stuff in a 20 cu in work box. That's just insane.
Consider it to be more training in folding. There's nothing more shortsighted IMO than cutting the conductors shorter than required by code. It makes it so much easier to replace devices down the road when there is enough wire to clip off the old device and reterminate a few times. :)

magictolight.com

"Profit-minded EC's still use the poke-home quik-wire method that can fail as compared to screw head tab connected duplexes."

There is a difference in safety and now AFCI nuisance circuit trouble shooting that can cost a nick in the project overhead margin. Just thought I would mention this to those interested in circuit sustainability. rbj[/QUOTE]"

We are a profit minded electrical contractor but we still aim to give each client a top notch installation. I regularly talk about "no shortcuts" in our installations. We pigtail all devices for the very reasons discussed in this forum. We have this listed in our company installation standards. You can be profit minded, just not at the expense of a right and proper install!

gndrod

right on

right on

We are a profit minded electrical contractor but we still aim to give each client a top notch installation. I regularly talk about "no shortcuts" in our installations. We pigtail all devices for the very reasons discussed in this forum. We have this listed in our company installation standards. You can be profit minded, just not at the expense of a right and proper install!

I would recommend you anytime. rbj

Status
Not open for further replies.