Generac starter battery exploded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have any of you ever heard of a generator battery exploding? :confused:

I got a call from a customer for whom we installed a 7Kw stationary unit, about 2.5 years ago. She called this week, stating that the generator doesn't start for its weekly excercise or a power outage. (Electric clock off by about 2 hours was her first clue.)

I went there yesterday, and found that the battery (automotive type - correct size and capacity - I provided) had exploded. The case top was in several pieces, and even one side had a large chunk missing. Needless to say, there was electrolyte everywhere.

I called Generac, and the tech department advised me they've seen this before, and they always attribute it to battery failure, and not an issue with the generator itself. Have any of you heard of a battery exploding after 2-1/2 years of working like it should?

I will test the trickle-charge voltage before installing the replacement battery, and the battery voltage when the generator is running. Costco refunded the entire original battery purchase price, but I had to cover the minimal price and core-charge increases.

Any suggestions? Thanx,

mcclary's electrical

I witnessed first hand a battery explode all over one of my ex co workers. It blew a 4" hole in the top of the bettery, of course covering him in electrolyte. It came from overcharging. You might have the same problem. You've already said you're gonna check your trickle charge,,,,But i guess if you charge a FAULTY battery at a
NORMAL rate,,,,,,,it would be the same thing as OVER charging a GOOD battery. So it's totally possible you just had a bad battery.

brian john

We have had numerous batteries explode UPS, Telco and generator.

1. Engineer used a lighter to look in the cells after a non start during a power outage, KABOOM

2. Most likely cause bad plate to post weld, this causes an open during a start (most like cause) a high current draw results in an arc. This is especially bad if there is low electrolyte and the battery has been under a equalize charge, which can result in higher off gassing.

3. Defective charger that causes excessive off gassing any spark in the area and KABOOM.

Replace the battery and check charger for charging current and voltage.

Last edited:

Besoeker

What kind of battery was it?
Most of those I deal with these days are sometimes call sealed lead acid but are actually valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) to prevent this kind of event.

hurk27

I had a Interstate battery explode in a generac about two years ago, it looked more like a over sized riding lawn mower battery, and was about 6 months old, it had a bad connection between the cells and guess when the generator tried to start for it's exercise time it caused a spark in the battery. I have seen this in cars too but it is most common in heavy equipment, because of the amount of bouncing they go through, a battery in a back hoe or dozer can take a beating, it one reason not to buy cheep car batteries for them.
I found this in boats when someone uses a car battery, the plate connections don't hold up as good as a marine battery. so after that I use a good commercial grade battery in generators as they do get a lot of vibration.

So it might have had a connection to the charging/starting or it might have been just a bad battery, or a miss applied purpose for a car battery.

batteries do one thing besides store energy, they make a explosive mixture of oxygen and hydrogen, and if there is any room at the top for it to collect, you have a bomb waiting to explode, just add a spark and ka-boom.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd replace the charger just for kicks.
Am I correct that there are both a line-powered trickle charger and a charging circuit from the generator?

it didn't eat any of the wiring ?
Not that I could see. Only the battery cables were in the compartment.

There was no evidence of an arc flash or a flame, just a burst battery.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1. Engineer used a lighter to look in the cells after a non start during a power outage, KABOOM
Nope, that ain't it. She doesn't smoke.

2. Most likely cause bad plate to post weld, this causes an open during a start (most like cause) a high current draw results in an arc. This is especially bad if there is low electrolyte and the battery has been under a equalize charge, which can result in higher off gassing.
That could be. New battery in the van.

3. Defective charger that causes excessive off gassing any spark in the area and KABOOM.

Replace the battery and check charger for charging current and voltage.
That's the plan, Stan. Meter in van, too.

"Captain Kirk! I shall consider it!" ~ Spock with a beard in Mirror, Mirror.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What kind of battery was it?
Most of those I deal with these days are sometimes call sealed lead acid but are actually valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) to prevent this kind of event.
A Kirkland maintenance-free vented car battery. Group 58, 760CA, 610 CCA.

ceb58

I got a call from a customer for whom we installed a 7Kw stationary unit, about 2.5 years ago. She called this week, stating that the generator doesn't start for its weekly excercise or a power outage. (Electric clock off by about 2 hours was her first clue.)

I went there yesterday, and found that the battery (automotive type - correct size and capacity - I provided) had exploded. The case top was in several pieces, and even one side had a large chunk missing. Needless to say, there was electrolyte everywhere.

I called Generac, and the tech department advised me they've seen this before, and they always attribute it to battery failure, and not an issue with the generator itself. Have any of you heard of a battery exploding after 2-1/2 years of working like it should?

I will test the trickle-charge voltage before installing the replacement battery, and the battery voltage when the generator is running. Costco refunded the entire original battery purchase price, but I had to cover the minimal price and core-charge increases.

Any suggestions? Thanx,

We had one explode in a generac 45 kw two week ago. Trickle charger was the problem.

brian john

Typically the chargers that come with generators are JUNK, Lots of AC ripple very little voltage regulation and next thing you know battery problems.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I had one last year that exploded, one that I installed for one of our many vice presidents:roll: The battery that Generac specifies is not a maintaince free type, they last about two years when all of the electrolite is boiled out. Most customers never remember to check the level on these. Don't know why Generac specs this battery.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I had one last year that exploded, one that I installed for one of our many vice presidents:roll: The battery that Generac specifies is not a maintaince free type, they last about two years when all of the electrolite is boiled out. Most customers never remember to check the level on these. Don't know why Generac specs this battery.
Cause they want the call backs?

brian john

If you consider that a generator is typically an emergency power source one would consider it prudent to replace the batteries every 18-30 months. Typically we recommend new batteries every 24 months. Small price to pay for reliability.

ceb58

How did you discover that? And how long does Generac cover that?

While doing monthly p.m. to the gen. set is how we found it. Washed it down with baking soda water and then rinsed it down. Had to do some repainting. The gen set is still under warranty. The factory tech. confirmed the charger was the cause. They replaced both under warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.