SIS wire in a conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABC789

Can SIS wire run in a conduit between switchgear and an adjacent protection relay rack? I have a 19" relay rack that sits adjacent to the switchgear it protects. Can I run SIS wire between the relays and the switchgear?

SG-1

SIS is not approved for use in conduit. All customer sites I have visited used what looked like THHN or THWN for their conduits. This wiring is critical for the operation of your gear & I would not chance a "no trip scenario" due to a ground fault in the protective relay wiring. Use a code approved wire for your conduits.

Goroon

Can SIS wire run in a conduit between switchgear and an adjacent protection relay rac

Can SIS wire run in a conduit between switchgear and an adjacent protection relay rac

As any good electrician will do, I defer to you engineers and then ask..BUT ?

"SIS is not approved for use in conduit."

So why is it listed in the 90C colum of 310.16, (2008)

Table 310.16 Allowable Ampacities of Insulated Conductors Rated 0 Through 2000 Volts, 60?C Through 90?C (140?F Through 194?F), Not More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in Raceway, Cable, or Earth (Directly Buried), Based on Ambient Temperature of 30?C (86?F)

So why is it used in all of "MY" SWBD wiring, and , In conduit between detached sections?

Sorry, just disagreeing here, but yes I believe it is permited as long as it is used for the SWBD or SWGR interconnect ciircuits.

nakulak

As any good electrician will do, I defer to you engineers and then ask..BUT ?

"SIS is not approved for use in conduit."

So why is it listed in the 90C colum of 310.16, (2008)

Table 310.16 Allowable Ampacities of Insulated Conductors Rated 0 Through 2000 Volts, 60?C Through 90?C (140?F Through 194?F), Not More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in Raceway, Cable, or Earth (Directly Buried), Based on Ambient Temperature of 30?C (86?F)

because the "not more than 3 conductors" is qualifying the ampacities for the table

So why is it used in all of "MY" SWBD wiring, and , In conduit between detached sections?

because those are (presumably) NRTL listed assemblies

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can SIS wire run in a conduit between switchgear and an adjacent protection relay rack? I have a 19" relay rack that sits adjacent to the switchgear it protects. Can I run SIS wire between the relays and the switchgear?

I would say "no" due to the information accompanying SIS in 300.13 that states "Switchboard wiring only". Your situation seems to extend beyond the switchboard.

ohmhead

Well i see it table 310.13 A application switchboards only i dont see anything stating conduit .

Where in the code does it say no conduit ?

SIS wiring is control wiring and i always thought it was not a issue that control wiring is not a heat factor .

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Well i see it table 310.13 A application switchboards only i dont see anything stating conduit .

Where in the code does it say no conduit ?

SIS wiring is control wiring and i always thought it was not a issue that control wiring is not a heat factor .
110.3(B) applies...the listing for SIS says for use in switchboards only.

SG-1

I cannot find a conduit fill chart listing SIS.

Within the switchgear nearly all the low voltage conductors will be SIS. This includes power for the heaters, battery chargers, lights, receptacles, plus the control wiring. All of these conductors are grouped together in bundles, some of the bundles can be 3+ inches in diameter. This is where the ampacity chart 310.16 is needed, assuming a 50 degree C enviroment. The bundle is a type of cable assembly, not necessarily a raceway.

Steve

ABC789

SIS wire in conduit - point to the code

SIS wire in conduit - point to the code

Table 310.13 shows SIS conductor, and under the "Application Provisions" header it says, "Switchboard wiring only". It doen't say "in switchboards only" as one posted here. In my opinion the protective relays are a remote portion of the switchgear, as they are critical to operation and safety. So, to run 20' through a conduit with SIS between the switchgear and relay rack.....code violation or not? Can anyone quote the violation here, or isn't there one? Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Table 310.13 shows SIS conductor, and under the "Application Provisions" header it says, "Switchboard wiring only". It doen't say "in switchboards only" as one posted here. In my opinion the protective relays are a remote portion of the switchgear, as they are critical to operation and safety. So, to run 20' through a conduit with SIS between the switchgear and relay rack.....code violation or not? Can anyone quote the violation here, or isn't there one? Thanks
I read the wording in both T310.13 and the UL White book as saying this conductor is suitable for use in switchboards only, but you have correctly quoted the wording.
From UL Guide ZKST:
SIS ? Indicates a single conductor having thermosetting insulation with no overall covering provided rated 90?C dry, for switchboard wiring only.

Status
Not open for further replies.