Multiple inverters & sub-panels on PV systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynd2it

Hi,

It is our understanding that if more than one inverter is part of a PV system, then the breakers for those inverters have to be in a (separate) sub-panel. Please let me know if this is correct.

The situation we have is a 400am main service with a breaker panel attached, there is a separate breaker panel connected to a breaker in the main service panel. My question is "could we put one inverter into each breaker panel or do we have to install a new separate sub-panel?" The inverters are SMA 6000US which have a max continous AC current of 25 amps, times 1.25 = 31.25 amps so I need 40 amp breakers for each inverter. 80 amps is within the max backfeed of the main service.

Photo attached of panels

Thanks

David

4SPARKS

check art 690.64 specifically (B), (1) and (2)
this is 2008 NEC btw I think this is what you are looking for. According to that article you can go into same panel as long as amp ratings dont exceed 120% of busbar rating

rynd2it

Thanks, that seems to indicate that we do NOT need a separate sub-panel for multiple inverters, contrary to what we have always been told. Might be a local code by the utility, I'll check.

rynd2it

OK, got it at last. Local code requires ALL PV inverters to be capable of isolation with a single AC disconnect - therefore feed all inverters into a sub-panel and connec sub-panel to main via an AC disconnect. Simple really when you know ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.