Microwave Oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos G

-Service Calculations-Residential-Standard Method:
How must be treated a microwave oven...like a 'cooking unit' (T-220-55) or a fixed appliance (220-53)?
Carlos G

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I treat is as though it did not exist. The receptacle outlet into which it will be plugged will have already been counted in the VA/sq ft figure. I think that is all that is needed.

Some may say that, knowing a specific appliance will be installed, you have to add that separately. I can't argue against this viewpoint. It's just not my viewpoint. But if you are going to count it, then use its nameplate information to assign a load value.

Since you put this in the exam preparation area, I infer that this is, or was, a test question. The "right answer," unfortunately, is going to be whatever the author of the question wants it to be. Do you have a more nearly exact wording of the question?

Welcome to the forum.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
CharlieB, You sure keep my mind active. First off, for the OP, I agree with your last statement, it probably depends on the test writer.
I had not given thought to what you stated and on doing so only confuse myself.
I don't disagree with you, but two things cause me to wonder. First, and I realize it's not NEC, Mike Holt has a "microwave" listing in his free download on load calculations (although it could refer to permanent wired).
Secondly in using the optional calculation we see the following wording:
"a. All appliances that are fastened in place, permanently connected, or located to be on a specific circuit ".
Would this not mean a dedicated circuit for a microwave would need to be counted when using the optional method ?
Art 220 is a weak area for me, so I post this so you might enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.