WI Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie

I?m looking for advise on study materials for WI Master. But First my background is much different than most of yours. I was a Journeyman Lineman in WI. for 15 years with a utility. I left the company after a severe case of frostbite. The company doctor ordered them to not allow me to work outside below 32 degrees. I can function just fine but the doctor erred on the side of caution. This turned a very enjoyable job to something I couldn?t bear. I left the company and got in with the city as a maintenance electrician. The pay is terrible but it?s the kind of work I love. The only way the pay would get decent is after many, many years (it?s union but not IBEW).
I want to go out on my own. As a lineman we never had to even pick up a code book. So I never went through an apprenticeship like yours. Back in 82 we had to put ourselves thru line school before we could even apply at a utility. I?m finding the code book 100?s of times worse than learning phase angles. or any transformer bank. Or maybe my age has a small part to play, I?m 51. I have been studying the code book for a year and a half. I?ve taken a class put on by our local inspector. It was very informative. I thought I was ready to take the Masters test 3 times. But was rudely brought down to earth. It?s not so much the formulas. It?s the wording.
To be able to bid on any local, city or state jobs I absolutely need my license. I know there would be many more bridges to cross. But for now the first step is to pass that test. Any advice ?

westernexplorer

I?m looking for advise on study materials for WI Master. But First my background is much different than most of yours. I was a Journeyman Lineman in WI. for 15 years with a utility. I left the company after a severe case of frostbite. The company doctor ordered them to not allow me to work outside below 32 degrees. I can function just fine but the doctor erred on the side of caution. This turned a very enjoyable job to something I couldn?t bear. I left the company and got in with the city as a maintenance electrician. The pay is terrible but it?s the kind of work I love. The only way the pay would get decent is after many, many years (it?s union but not IBEW).
I want to go out on my own. As a lineman we never had to even pick up a code book. So I never went through an apprenticeship like yours. Back in 82 we had to put ourselves thru line school before we could even apply at a utility. I?m finding the code book 100?s of times worse than learning phase angles. or any transformer bank. Or maybe my age has a small part to play, I?m 51. I have been studying the code book for a year and a half. I?ve taken a class put on by our local inspector. It was very informative. I thought I was ready to take the Masters test 3 times. But was rudely brought down to earth. It?s not so much the formulas. It?s the wording.
To be able to bid on any local, city or state jobs I absolutely need my license. I know there would be many more bridges to cross. But for now the first step is to pass that test. Any advice ?

Sorry your having trouble, however to become an inside electrician you must have the knowledge to go with the license. Helping you pass the exam without the proper experience would not be good for anyone, general public or you. My advice to you, would be work under the supervision of a Master Electrician actually making electrical installations in residential, commercial and industrial occupancies and many things on the exam will start to become much clearer and make a lot more sense. That way you will carry the license and not the other way around, trying to have the license carry you...

Just my advice....

magictolight.com

When studying for my masters I got a masters exam test book from Tom Henery. Mike Holts sight probably has something to. This book was full of test questions right out of the code book, theory, safety, etc. Had all the answers in the back of the book. Took each test, checked my answers, and researched all my wrong answers. Studied every day for about an hour for a month. took my masters and did just fine. I know there are alot of package deals out there but the Masters test book was the best and most economical. http://www.code-electrical.com/mastersbook.html. This was the book I used. Great book. Good Luck!

11Haze29

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You can't learn the entire code. You have to learn how to use the code book! Read the code book and memorize the Articles. Then learn to use the back index. I just took TX Master and passed, but I could not have answered a 1/3 of questions from memory. There are also 'tricks' that you have to learn, use that word for lack of a better. Like having to use 60C cable ampacity for under 100A loads, but 75C for all motors regardless of size, and that motor cable ampacity is based on motor amps from the table and not FLA but motor overloads are based on FLA.
The areas to really study:
Branch Circuits
Services
Calculations for load diversity
Grounding
Overload
Cables.
Everything else you just look up at the exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.