main bonding jumper at ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullryder

On a four wire, automatic transfer switch that is fed from an ocpd that already has a main bonding jumper properly installed, is it required to again bond the neutral on the load side of the transfer switch? This would seem to be a code violation to me, however I was recently told it was required in this application.

iwire

Staff member
If you switch the neutral you must bond the generator output somewhere between the genset and the transfer switch so that there is never more than one bond actually connected at a time.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I agree with iwire, that is the correct way to do it, though I had a state inspector require that the bond be on the load side of a service rated groundfault protected transfer switch (four pole also). Could not get him to understand why it would defeat the ground fault protection!

erickench

The ATS should have two ground fault current paths. One for each source. If you bond the neutral to the ATS enclosure you will have objectionable current on either of these EGCs.

iwire

Staff member
This may help, with a switched neutral bonding is required in two places but only one is actually connected at any given time.

504ecm17fig1.jpg

erickench

Lets assume that the neutrals are tied together. What would happen if you had fault current flowing through the neutral from one source to the other? This is what would happen if you only had one main bonding jumper for both systems. Maybe it's better to have two main bonding jumpers?

Last edited:

erickench

Okay it suddenly dawned on me what this inspector wants. If there are no main bonding jumpers at both services and only one main bonding jumper at the ATS, then the fault current will not loop through one service and then on to the other. Also, there would be no parallel paths for the fault current to flow through. All the fault current would flow through the neutral to whichever service is supplying power.

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Okay it suddenly dawned on me what this inspector wants. If there are no main bonding jumpers at both services and only one main bonding jumper at the ATS, then the fault current will not loop through one service and then on to the other. Also, there would be no parallel paths for the fault current to flow through. All the fault current would flow through the neutral to whichever service is supplying power.

That is what the fourth pole is for, to prevent the current loop, that is why the service is bonded at the line side, with the generator bonded on it's line side. As the drawing that iwire posted shows. If you bond only once on the load side of the transfer switch, any ground faults will return to the neutral and pass through the ground fault CT, and not be seen as a fault. If bonded correctly on the line side, the fault will go around the CT, and will be sensed by the ground fault circuitry.

erickench

That is what the fourth pole is for, to prevent the current loop, that is why the service is bonded at the line side, with the generator bonded on it's line side. As the drawing that iwire posted shows. If you bond only once on the load side of the transfer switch, any ground faults will return to the neutral and pass through the ground fault CT, and not be seen as a fault. If bonded correctly on the line side, the fault will go around the CT, and will be sensed by the ground fault circuitry.

I'm a little confused. A circuit breaker would only sense the overcurrent flowing through the ungrounded conductors. The only way a protection system would sense the neutral current is if you were using a phase overcurrent relay that senses the imbalance the same way that a GFCI would sense it. Is that what we have here?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree with Iwire & hillbilly. If you bond the neutral and ground on the load side of the ATS, you are defeating the whole reason to use a 4 pole switch.

Steve

bullryder

Thank you for your reply. This was how I thought it should be installed with no main bonding jumper @ panelboard. This is a huge help.......

Status
Not open for further replies.