Running through a panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohr46

Yea I get that one but Celtic was reffering to 277v lighting and 120v recepts in a typical commercial environment. I would never do this because I think it is never necessary, practical and is a accident waiting to occur. In my beggining our 480v/277 cts were always in seperate conduits. except for control circuits. Just because you can does not mean you should. Is there a big savings doing so?

For me it's become a habit over the years to keep 120v recept. circuits out of 277v lighting conduits because most of the time it is in the commercial job specs to keep them seperate.

celtic

Then there are the times 480 volt breakers use 120 volts for control power, kind of necessary to bring both voltages into a panel cabinet.

Yea I get that one but Celtic was reffering to 277v lighting and 120v recepts in a typical commercial environment.

It is the same scenario...just different points of termination.

I would never do this because I think it is never necessary, practical and is a accident waiting to occur.

Working with electricity, in general, is an accident waiting to happen...having people that understand what is legal/is not legal minimizes that danger.

Never assume shutting of a panel feeder kills all circuits in a cabinet.
It's a pretty basic concept.

Just because you can does not mean you should. Is there a big savings doing so?

"Can" and "should" are arbitrary terms that typically do not enter into a client's mind.
The clients' concern for the most part is "how much?".

The savings would based strictly on the task at hand...each will vary.
The savings becomes instantaneous when "someone" forgets/adds an item of a different voltage way over there someplace and there just happens to a conduit with some extra room over here :cool:

e57

I haven't talked directly to the inpsector, I going by what the electrician said. Actually, the electricians were the first ones to say "you can't run through a panel to another panel." I'm not sure they believed me when I told them that wasn't actually a code section.

Steve
IT IS A CODE SECTION!!!! It just says a lot more than that.... It says you can in certain conditions. And since you're not in the field - how do you know if they violated it or not? Or if the inspector was enforcing what he 'remembers' of the code - rather than opening the book to look?

However - although allowed under the right circumstances - not a great practice IMO. ;)

Flex

IT IS A CODE SECTION!!!! It just says a lot more than that.... It says you can in certain conditions. And since you're not in the field - how do you know if they violated it or not? Or if the inspector was enforcing what he 'remembers' of the code - rather than opening the book to look?

However - although allowed under the right circumstances - not a great practice IMO. ;)

Just because he CAN doesnt mean he SHOULD

hurk27

I had an inspector hit me for this once stating the same thing that turning off one panel you will still have live conductors, he said I should install a trough under the panels and run through it.

I had to ask him, if turning off one panel was going to remove all the power in the trough? he put a green sticker on the service and left:cool:

mcclary's electrical

I had an inspector hit me for this once stating the same thing that turning off one panel you will still have live conductors, he said I should install a trough under the panels and run through it.

I had to ask him, if turning off one panel was going to remove all the power in the trough? he put a green sticker on the service and left:cool:

Good point,,,,and if you turn off a main,,,,the feeders are still hot,,,,,so what's his point?

Status
Not open for further replies.