Drop outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an issue with power dropout in the home.

Indications:

Power will dip to the point the lights dim and the TV and any clocks on the circuit will automatically power down or reset. When plugged into a receptacle supplied by another phase using an extension cord, no problem.

I had our local power company (PG&E) put a meter/data recorder on the incoming power and it checked good. During the time we experienced several power fades.

Can the main circuit breakers to the home cause this type of issue?

Thanks,

-j

mcclary's electrical

The old crouse hinds panels are famous for doing this,,,,the main breaker stabs in and eventually burns the breaker out in the back. If you catch it early enough, you may be able to save the bus.
If it goes on too long, you'll need a new panel. It could also be a neutral problem causing uneven phases, but I doubt this is the case, because if A phase drops low enough for things to cut off,,,,,b phase would be around 190 volts, smoking everthing on that phase,,,,so IMO,,,,check your bus and main breaker

electricalperson

it does sound like you have a problem with the panel or in the meter socket. not sure where the poco hooked up too. more than likely id check the panel first. probably a breaker on itsway out like mcclarys said

mcclary's electrical

Good point electricperson, could be the connections at weatherhead,,,but I think he stated the POCO have been out to check everything, I think they would have caught a bad connection in the meter base, weatherhead, or grounded conductor.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Could be a neutral wire also.
I'd check all the breakers in the panel. If all ok. Check the outlets ahead of the problem till you find the source.

Buck Parrish

Check your bus bar as stated above. It should not have any corrosion on it.
I have had the poco to be wrong, Not their fault some times it is an intermitent problem. Such as when the wind is blowing or not.
It is most likely on the inside . But never rule out all the connections . Some on the poco 's side.

The power drops out no matter of the weather conditions. I don't see any corrosion on the bus bar, but a couple breakers look weathered.

I'll contact the POCO to remove power to the house while I replace the main feed breakers. A pair of ganged 100Amp Square D type.

I wasn't sure if a breaker mode of failure was an intermittent power drop out on the supplied phase. I've experienced other types of failures, just not fades.

Thanks,
-j

Buck Parrish

Yes it could be intermitent power. The problem is ussually at the weakest point.
I would not out rule that it might be the poco problem. If it is intermitten

Last edited:

hurk27

Check plugs to see if they were back stabbed, if you take one out and it is, then go around the room and use a 3-light tester to wiggle each one to see if it flashes the lights or load, look at fixtures on this circuit, high wattage bulbs could have damaged or weaken the connection in the box above it.

If this is affecting a whole phase then check the stabs at the main breaker, older ITE had a stab on 200 amp breaker which was 2 double pole, hundred amp breaker modules tied together, but it still stabbed on, so it could have a bad connection.

I'm going to have the POCO shut power off so I can replace the main breakers. I'll inspect what's behind them while I'm at it.

Thanks,

-j

gar

Occupation
EE
090827-1454 EST

johnf95037:

Is this your own home? And therefore you might be there when the problem occurs. Or is this a customer's home?

Your own place makes instrumentation easier to possibly isolate the problem.

At the main panel install two duplex receptacles. Each from its own breaker. One connected to phase A and the other to B. Two long extension cords to bring these voltages to an area where you see lights dimming. Connect a 25 W bulb to each phase.

What do these test lamps do when you see the room lamps of concern dim?

How often does the dimming occur?

electricalperson

in my experience i found loose connections at the service point. you can cut the burndys or crimps off and install new and see if that helps.
maybe you can put a big load on the phase that screws up and see if it happens. put a heat gun or high amp drill or something on the circuit and measure voltage at the panel and receptacle maybe that will help troubleshoot it

electricalperson

i think if there was a neutral problem you might see lamps get brighter. ive seen lamps get wicked bright all of a sudden then burn out when somebody removed a neutral of a MWBC. i also heard the tv pop and motion sensors pop too :)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Does your problem involve more than one or two circuits? If not the problem may not be the Main but somewhere in the house. If the breaker is a problem sometimes just wiggling them will cause a change or feel the case for heat. Otherwise I'd check the outlets for a loose connection.

76nemo

in my experience i found loose connections at the service point. you can cut the burndys or crimps off and install new and see if that helps.
maybe you can put a big load on the phase that screws up and see if it happens. put a heat gun or high amp drill or something on the circuit and measure voltage at the panel and receptacle maybe that will help troubleshoot it

Yupper ;}-

Status
Not open for further replies.