Lets all work for free.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

This added sales pitch has produced results.Give the customer something to think about other than the bottom line.

This is exactly what the guy that wants to wire those apartments should have done. He bid the job dirt cheap and still didn't get the work. He should have spent some time with the builder explaining just what he could do for him to help him make money. Let the builder know that he's licensed and insured and that this is not his first Rodeo that's he's calculated his materials cost and can give a competitive bid. Make sure he knows there really is a game plan and that he really can complete the project.

Rewire

This is exactly what the guy that wants to wire those apartments should have done. He bid the job dirt cheap and still didn't get the work. He should have spent some time with the builder explaining just what he could do for him to help him make money. Let the builder know that he's licensed and insured and that this is not his first Rodeo that's he's calculated his materials cost and can give a competitive bid. Make sure he knows there really is a game plan and that he really can complete the project.
Then thier is the Hostage bid,The guy bids low then partway thru demands more money as a contractor you have to figure the cost of hiring a new electrician against paying the ransom for this guy to finish.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Then thier is the Hostage bid,The guy bids low then partway thru demands more money as a contractor you have to figure the cost of hiring a new electrician against paying the ransom for this guy to finish.
Don't your states have rules and regs relating to contracting. The EC in most instances can't hold the job hostage if they care to still hav a license.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
My experince it's the GC holding your mony back because he wants to save money!!!!!!!!

Rewire

Don't your states have rules and regs relating to contracting. The EC in most instances can't hold the job hostage if they care to still hav a license.

No rules no regs no license required. The way it works is a 10 grand bid goes for 6 halfway thru the Ec asks for 4 grand more the GC asks another EC to take over and he prices it at 6 grand so to save a 2 grand he pays the first EC.

emahler

I think I will Invest in a netbook for the Van so I can print permits and call for inspections right from the site. that will save me some time from running back to office to order a permit. :)

why not just print green stickers as well...that would save you from having to: a) always do the job right, and b) waste the time meeting with the inspector and then doing the rework:D

Power Tech

Sometimes its not just about getting lean ,one thing I have started doing is giving every potential customer a copy of our liability insurance and our workmans comp insurance with a brief explanation of the protections they provide.This added sales pitch has produced results.Give the customer something to think about other than the bottom line.

I do this and it works! If customers know the liability of doing business and having no recourse when the work needs to be redone. Or worse they destroy the house or building. Or even worse - they (and there family) own your house or building because they fell off a ladder and are in a comma.

I submit insurance cert's to do business with the large corporations.

Someone cuts a finger off or gets seriously injured and they are gone. I and the customers I choose to serve, prefer to not have a conscience.

emahler

QUOTE=Rewire;1092545]

May be he inherited his business from his dad ,maybe he has no overhead,maybe its a side job.Matbe he has found a way to do it more cost effective .

[/QUOTE]

Because we all know that 2nd generation family businesses are exempt from paying for material, labor and OH items.

And paying employees cash off the books is just good, efficient management.

Rewire

QUOTE=Rewire;1092545]

May be he inherited his business from his dad ,maybe he has no overhead,maybe its a side job.Matbe he has found a way to do it more cost effective .
Because we all know that 2nd generation family businesses are exempt from paying for material, labor and OH items.

And paying employees cash off the books is just good, efficient management.

Naw just most second generation guys have no clue as to what the sacrifices that need to be made to actually build a business where none exsisted before.

Most of the gang box babies never had to actually work that hard ,I never minded working for the boss but hated working for the bosses son to many had the "boss in waiting "attitude and were little no it alls who could not take criticism or acknowledge that their were people who new alot more than they did..

My sons first job in my business is clean the shop cats litter box and empty trash cans. He is going to earn the privalidge of running this business it's not just going to be handed to him.

emahler

Naw just most second generation guys have no clue as to what the sacrifices that need to be made to actually build a business where none exsisted before.

Most of the gang box babies never had to actually work that hard ,I never minded working for the boss but hated working for the bosses son to many had the "boss in waiting "attitude and were little no it alls who could not take criticism or acknowledge that their were people who new alot more than they did..

My sons first job in my business is clean the shop cats litter box and empty trash cans. He is going to earn the privalidge of running this business it's not just going to be handed to him.

While you are correct in general regarding that, paying material, labor and OH are not sacrifices, but reality.

emahler

What are you talking about. How does that have anything to do with the op? What exactly is your point? That a guy who inherits a business doesn't have to charge a lot of money because he doesn't know the sacrifices that need to be made in material and labor costs?

I'm tired from that big circle.

electricguy

IMHO Emahler seems to have learned tons about the resi service business .

I have been reading his posts for over 5 years,while others around me are lowering their prices I would rather raise mine.
I can see why some of the successful resi service Electrical Contractors have stopped posting on the forum .
Its really hard to go forward when so many are trying to slash prices .
I had a call this morning asking me my hourly rate this morning I was told i wasn't the the highest some are at 95 per hour i quoted 89/hr This tells me I am too low.
I rarely do T&M anyhow.
I would rather raise my prices then lower them.
I am glad I am not racing to job to job to cover overhead and living expense.

if there is warranty work it is a pleasure to go and rectify.

Rewire

What are you talking about. How does that have anything to do with the op? What exactly is your point? That a guy who inherits a business doesn't have to charge a lot of money because he doesn't know the sacrifices that need to be made in material and labor costs?

I'm tired from that big circle.

Have I stuck a nerve?The guy that got it from daddys hard work usually has a finished product, maybe a building thats paid for and plenty of tools and equipment lower insurance premiums for an established businesss translates to lower overhead which alows a more cost effective price.I also mentioned other posibilities for being able to be cost effective but you choose to focus on only one your comments were somewhat of a side track but I have continued to make my answers realavent to the OP

Alot of gang box babies have an entitlement mentality ,they saw dad driving a new truck so they think they should have one not realizing the years dad settled for the clunker so he could keep his business afloat.

Stop cherry picking snippets of what I post and you will see that they do all tie together to the OPs comments

Power Tech

Power Tech: I was the bosses son. I always worked harder, made less, because "you kids have it so easy". When one of the employees got hurt, my father would say "do you need to go to the hospital"? When I got hurt, out came the dirty rag and some electrical tape. 12 years, nights, weekends. He ruined my first marriage. Thanks dad.

Power Tech: So after making him enough to retire at 60, he asks me if I wanted the business. I did want it (I built it) but, for my own personal dignity had to say no. Only the Forman's knew, most of the union JWs I worked with had no idea I was the bosses son. I wore my tools and never took advantage of my situation.

When I started working in the summers for my father I had to dig dig dig. I learned how to use the pick good. I had to watch him bend pipe for a year, before I could touch the bender. Ninja apprentice? Looking back, I was abused, and have never treated an apprentice so bad. I should have worked for another contractor a few years, took some business classes, and got my own business straight away. I would have been better off.

Starting my company was a joy, not a struggle. I am glad to be away, far away from that thing called the family.

I think I am going to print this and send it to the old man.

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

QUOTE=Rewire;1092545]

HTML:
And paying employees cash off the books is just good, efficient management.[/QUOTE]

and illegal

mcclary's electrical

When I started working in the summers for my father I had to dig dig dig. I learned how to use the pick good. I had to watch him bend pipe for a year, before I could touch the bender. Ninja apprentice? Looking back, I was abused, and have never treated an apprentice so bad. I should have worked for another contractor a few years, took some business classes, and got my own business straight away. I would have been better off.

Starting my company was a joy, not a struggle. I am glad to be away, far away from that thing called the family.

I think I am going to print this and send it to the old man.

It sounds to me that he was trying to make a man out of you,,,,,IMO,,,,if you e-mail him this forum,,,,all his intentions will be "negated"
ie: don't complain about how he trained you

Status
Not open for further replies.