Should all breakers be "bolt in" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

If you feel like trippling the cost of a breaker, other than that, lighting and other small loads will run for years and years with a stab in.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I prefer the engineered connection of Square D QO and Cutler Hammer CH breakers over the un-torqued screw connection of an equivalent bolt-on breaker. Yes there are exceptions, like re-used/abused breakers, and the 'generic' plug-on connection that every manufacturer sells.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I prefer the engineered connection of Square D QO and Cutler Hammer CH breakers over the un-torqued screw connection of an equivalent bolt-on breaker. Yes there are exceptions, like re-used/abused breakers, and the 'generic' plug-on connection that every manufacturer sells.
While the surface area is usually larger with a bolt-on unit than a push in . Why do you claim that the QO is more engineered than anything else out there?
Why would a QO be better than a bolt on?

mxslick

What's the difference between a stab-on breaker on a bus bar and sticking a cord plug into a receptacle?

Simple: A cord plug gets inserted and removed multiple times, which helps to "wipe" the contact surfaces which can prevent oxidation build-up which could cause heating issues. A stab-on breaker typically stays in place all of its' life.

By the same token, a stab-on breaker won't eventually lose spring tension from multiple remove-insert cycles. :)

wireguru

I vote for neither. I want a panel with wire in/wire out breakers like a QOU, and big ilsco blocks with lugs for the feeder and tap conductors from the block to each breaker. Would keep the homeowners out of the panel :)

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've done lots of troubleshooting & mostly seen that quality breakers like QO and CHch snap on tightly to the busbars and don't give much trouble. Old Fed Pacific & Zinsco were/are terrible stab type. I don't like GE or Siemens much either. I've worked on brand new GE panels and could hear arcing in the panel before handing over to customer. I won't install new GE for that reason. So far, I think SQD Homeline is much better than others of that type. I do like bolt ins for industrial areas with high vibration. Vibration is a powerful enemy. 1 place I did a lot of work has Wsths & CH bolt in panels that have served well, also has I-Lines. I love I-Lines.

mull982

I have noticed that a large motor load tends to burn up stablock connections so I advise bolt on for motor loads.

We have had several Size 5 motors on which we have had problems with these stabs burning up and the wire between the stabs and the line side of the breaker burning up.

I have heard that it is recommended to use a bolt in breaker for these size 5 starters.

brian john

When we do IR's we seldom see connections issues with QO's but see numerous bolt CB's and connections issues. Most issues are loose bus hardware and/or stripped hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.