Transformer grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I want to mount a 208primary 120v secondary transformer out on a light pole to be used for a sign. Can you help point me in the right direction on how to ground it. Can I just use the grounding conductor or do i need to drive a ground rod. The original installer buried a PVC T which I was unable to pull through before they paved over it. Thanks

arnettda

It is a 1kva transformer. So I believe I believe I can just use the equipment grounding conductor. As per 250.30a3 exp?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is a 1kva transformer. So I believe I believe I can just use the equipment grounding conductor. As per 250.30a3 exp?
As long as the secondary of the transformer is an Article 725, Class 1 circuit, Exception #3 to 250.30(A)(3) would apply.

arnettda

It is not a class one ckt. So does this mean I need to drive a ground rod? It say connect it to the grounding electrode system but there is not one there. It is away from the building so do I connect it through the earth?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is not a class one ckt. So does this mean I need to drive a ground rod? It say connect it to the grounding electrode system but there is not one there. It is away from the building so do I connect it through the earth?
I don't see any exceptions that apply, so you need to provide a grounding electrode.

Status
Not open for further replies.