HVAC question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some HVAC people can help me with this one, I came across a product that claims it will reduce KW demand. The product basically measures when a compressor reaches saturation and then shuts the compressor down for a short period, since the compressor is at saturation it basically is not performing additional work hence the KW savings. In addition the specs say it has a built in short cycle prevention feature. Supposed to work on single and multistage units. Shuts down compressor avg of 4 times per hour. Claims, residential and commercial applications but does not seem cost effective for residential use.

Order of operations
Compressor reaches saturation, sensor shuts down compressor, fans still run, when below sat point is reached compressor turns back on.

What do you think? I know we can use other forms of control for this but this product seems to be cost effective with a 3-5 year ROI if run for normal cooling season.

Thanks.

I'd like to know how it senses saturation.

This is what I have from the brochure,

The sensor driven software algorithims are designed to detect thermodynamic saturation and optimize the compressor accordingly. When over capacity is detected, it switches the compressor of and avoids inefficient cooling.......

From what I understand, there is a sensor that gets placed in the coldest part of supply air stream, the sensor takes constant readings and calculates when the coldest output is achieved and then shuts the compressor down and turns it back on so as not to reduce thermostat setpoint temp in the building without the possibility of short cycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.