$1000 circuit tracers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Wow, I was just searching old threads looking to purchase a tester that could be used on disco's in addition to receptacles. I was looking to spend maybe 200-300.

I have seen the "Poor mans tester" with the coin flasher so lets not go there. I use a heat gun to do the same thing. I need something I can hook up to an energized disco and run around a building without taking two dozen panel covers off.

quogueelectric

If you hawk ebay you may find an amprobe 2005 for about 400 bucks once every month or two 2-3 hundred a couple of times a year. Pm me for advise on sniping theese products without creating a bidding war. I picked up mine for 400 with no test leads and no case. It uses standard test leads found at any radio shack.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If you hawk ebay you may find an amprobe 2005 for about 400 bucks once every month or two 2-3 hundred a couple of times a year. Pm me for advise on sniping theese products without creating a bidding war. I picked up mine for 400 with no test leads and no case.

I was looking at that but again $1000 new. Something I may only use once every couple years, thats a hard sell.

It uses standard test leads found at any radio shack.

Are they cat III rated?

quogueelectric

I dont think radio shack leads have any cats. You could buy fluke and they will also fit. I dont know if the tracer is cat 3-5 rated either it has two transmitters and one is power off and one is power on. It will power itself with any source 9-600v ac or dc.

EBFD6

How would you hook that up to an energized safety switch?

It comes with 2 attachments that plug into the transmitter, one is the 3 prong plug attachment that you see in the picture. The other is an attachment w/ alligator clips. You just plug whichever attachment you want into the transmitter.

I'm a commercial/industrial service electrician and I use this tracer everyday on anything from a 480v (277v to ground, not phase to phase as the unit is only good >300v) disconnect to 120v recept.

Last edited:

e57

Before this goes deeper into the mysteries of ebay....
Wow, I was just searching old threads looking to purchase a tester that could be used on disco's in addition to receptacles. I was looking to spend maybe 200-300.

I have seen the "Poor mans tester" with the coin flasher so lets not go there. I use a heat gun to do the same thing. I need something I can hook up to an energized disco and run around a building without taking two dozen panel covers off.
I'm still trying to figure out what it is you want. < $1K to do what? That is normally I know where the main is - its finding stuff from the little end I most often want to do. Even the pricey stuff you have turn up the transmitter to pump the signal up - doing so at the main will only tell you that it is connected TO the main - you already know that???? Right?

That said - for the 200 range there is not much....

This one fits the bill - but IMO is not the best.....

08678.JPG

Then again - ALL of the radio toner type of tracers pump a signal of a strength into the line, and it is up to you to determine if what you find it what you seek IMO. But on the low end of tracers - it will leave you wanting more of it someday. JMSO...

mivey

I was looking at that but again $1000 new. Something I may only use once every couple years, thats a hard sell.

Are they cat III rated?
I have an Ideal 61-958 and it is Cat III-1000V rated. I got it for $967.75, including a 61-830 (normally about $450).

One hard locate makes it worth it. Time is money. You may use it more than you think. It will follow circuits around a house to locate weird switch set-ups/feeds. I semi-retired my old fox & hound.

Status
Not open for further replies.