Feeder Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim3394

I am changing my own FPE 200A panel to a new 200A panel. I am debating changing my feeders because I am bringing the panel out about 4 inches and want to ensure it is long enough. It is presently 3 wire cable. Should I use the existing three wire cable, run new 3 wire cable or just run new 4 wire and drive ground rods? Opinions?

Jim

Volta

If it is a three-wire feeder (120/240) with the disconnect outside, it's one wire short of correct, another great reason to replace it.

mcclary's electrical

I am changing my own FPE 200A panel to a new 200A panel. I am debating changing my feeders because I am bringing the panel out about 4 inches and want to ensure it is long enough. It is presently 3 wire cable. Should I use the existing three wire cable, run new 3 wire cable or just run new 4 wire and drive ground rods?
HTML:
Opinions?

Jim

The requirement of ground rods does not change by switching from SE or SER. If this IS a service panel, you only need the three wire. All bonding to be done here, at service panel, if it's a subpanel, you need SER and the bond takes place in service panel with your grounded conductor isolated from can and grounding conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.