ceiling fan leash

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

Are you talking commercial or residential, I have never seen a safety cable on residential units.

I've seen them on residential fans, but without a very solid looking way of attaching them - almost as though they were intended only to support the fan while you made up the connections or something :|

macmikeman

I've seen them on residential fans, but without a very solid looking way of attaching them - almost as though they were intended only to support the fan while you made up the connections or something :|

Yep, I agree, the ones I ran across had not much in the means to attach the cable on the top end to anything, nor any direction as to how. I did something, but don't remember what that was.

jpweygandt

Hi everyone,
I have been in many Cracker Barrel restaurants around the U.S.A. All of them that I can remember have had the tethers on ceiling fans. Can't remember seeing them anywhere else.
Jerry

TobyD

I've noticed the cables installed at some amusment parks as well.I first thought they were using them to prevent the blades from hitting the wood rafters in case of a high wind gus as well as a added safety feature.But, there'd be no way of protecting the blades from all angles.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
this is the same setup at my local cracker barrel; they have the leashes attached to the fans. but the didn't use wiremold. Its all EMT.

Power Tech

Done quite a bit of work at Universal Studios.

Unfortunately not as a movie star.

All studio fixtures come with a nifty steel cable and a carabiner.

In the public works projects it calls out for all fixtures have a secondary support to a structural member.

I buy the crimps and the small cable and make them up myself.

jeremysterling

It is getting to be a pretty common practice now to have safety cables on fans in commercial applications. It's been done to Hi Bays for years. And by the way, do not park too close to the parking lot lights there, I have posted pictures before of their pole bases upturned, they bury them less than 2-3'.

Their parking lot pole lights are high pressure sodium (gives that "old-timey" gas lamp effect) and are very difficult to ballast swap. Thanks for the heads-up on the shallow base. I almost leaned an extension ladder on one to relamp it but I returned with the bucket truck.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It is getting to be a pretty common practice now to have safety cables on fans in commercial applications. It's been done to Hi Bays for years. And by the way, do not park too close to the parking lot lights there, I have posted pictures before of their pole bases upturned, they bury them less than 2-3'.
I have seen it on high bays, never on a ceiling fan that I could recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.