Derating conductors for temperature and conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRaley

If you have a 200A panel rated at 75 degrees Celsius and you want to run a 20A branch circuit. Do you use the 60 degree column or 75 degree column of Table 310.16 in the NEC to find the ampacity. The receptacle terminal temperature rating is 60 degrees Celsius I think, so is this the value I base my calculations on? Please help clarify, Thank you.

raider1

Staff member
If you have a 200A panel rated at 75 degrees Celsius and you want to run a 20A branch circuit. Do you use the 60 degree column or 75 degree column of Table 310.16 in the NEC to find the ampacity. The receptacle terminal temperature rating is 60 degrees Celsius I think, so is this the value I base my calculations on? Please help clarify, Thank you.

Take a look at 110.14(C).

Chris

bphgravity

Your question doesn't exactly make sense.

Ampacity calculations are based on the insulation type of the conductor along with adjustment and correction factors that may be present.

Assuming neither of those issues are present, a 20A branch circuit supplying receptacles must utilized conductors no smaller than #12 AWG. This is specified in 210.19 and 240.4 of the NEC.

The type of insulation used on your #12 AWG conductors will determine your ampacity, that being 90, 75, or 60 degree. According to the Table, a #12 AWG conductor can be loaded to 25A before its temperature reaches 60 and 75 degrees. So in this case, any insulation type can be used for your branch circuit.

The 20A branch circuit rating protects the conductor, termination ratings, and device ratings.

Now, assuming an adjustment or correction is needed, the code permits you to utilize the highest rating of the conductor insulation to perform the derating calculation, but when all is said and done, the equipment and materials cannot be loaded greater than the minimum rated component of the system.

The 75 degrees C and 60 degrees C ratings are from the wire insulation. Lugs are also rated for temperature. The short answer is that you may use 75 degree wire, but if it lands on a 60 degree rated lug you have to use the 60 degree column in table 310.16 to determine the wire size need.

See NEC 110.14 (C)

BTW, #12 wire is used for 20A circuits at both ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.