where to draw the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinesgt0411

At what point is the electric water heater no longer the electricians problem and becomes the plumbers problem?
At what point does the air handling unit become the HVAC tech's problem?
At what point do we stop? Where should we draw the line?

Buck Parrish

At the point where the wire from the panel attaches to the interior wiring.
If it is not working. You diisconnect our wires, test for correct voltage.
If it's the correct voltage, your done.

If we're slow will change an element.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
At what point is the electric water heater no longer the electricians problem and becomes the plumbers problem?

For water heaters, we change elements and thermostats. People ask us if we change water heaters too= NO WAY!

For HVAC units, if it has power to the disconnect, it's not my problem anymore.

Just how our shop handles 'em.

cadpoint

Don't give any one a breaker to they till they tell you their ready with their services. :roll:
I still think the last plumber cost me an element!

But isn't it it all just a (better) motor response to reach for the pre-printed carbon-less forms!

What may help here is the wording on your contract.
I have seen judges discuss the lack of proper wording by the contractor to help the customer understand the limitations of the contractors liability, therefore siding with the customer.
Detail
Detail
Detail

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You don't do the whips?

Yes, we do the whips too if needed on installs.

I took his question as asking how far we go when troubleshooting and when to draw the line which was the reason I mentioned we check power to the disconnect but stop there usually. The HVAC tech can troubleshoot anything past that.

marinesgt0411

Thank you everyone. I had a Apprentice School Board Member ask me to instruct HVAC trouble shooting. With how to use the moisture and oil guages, the pressure guages, how to adjust freon levels, and any of the other specialized HVAC tools. I told him it would be better to have one of the HVAC instructors instruct the class. He said NO that it should be an electrician that instructs the class because the HVAC is electrical. When I told him that in 12 years of service work all I ever had to check was for proper power, some fuses and connections in the unit. He could not believe it. I have a meeting with him and the HVAC instructor to try to explain why I do not need to know how to completely trouble shoot a HVAC to be an electrician. and the HVAC tech does not need to be a licensed electrician to trouble shoot the HVAC. that there is an understood line that each NORMALLY does not cross.

Ken9876

Me neither...but I am thinking about it ~ do the math on a compressor swap out vs. a service change :cool:

I worked for a guy that did both, and I'll tell you HVAC is a really good trade. Besides everyone is willing to pay for heat and AC. Trying to sell electrical work is much harder. And the good thing about HVAC as an electrician you already know half the system.

celtic

I worked for a guy that did both, and I'll tell you HVAC is a really good trade. Besides everyone is willing to pay for heat and AC. Trying to sell electrical work is much harder. And the good thing about HVAC as an electrician you already know half the system.

Oh no, you've said too much.
:D

hardworkingstiff

Wow. As an electrician, I don't think I've ever used moisture and oil guages, pressure guages, or dealt with freon.

In my other trade, I use pressure gauges, flex pipe for fuel systems, pumps, etc. I often make more money in that trade than I do in the electrical trade.

While it's cumbersome to remember to switch some tools around depending on the work, it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.