Ground or too short from meter base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Looked at a job today. The meter base is outside of the house, and a nipple comes from the back of it, into the garage right into the main panel. There's two hots and a solid bare ground wire coming out of it. Well the solid bare Grd. wire is too short to reach the NEU/GRD buss bar, so they spliced with a wirenut on to it with another piece, so they could reach it. Is this legal?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you said "two hot and a solid bare ground wire" I would assume that the bare wire is a neutral? What size is the solid conductor?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A #6 solid conductor is not permitted to be pulled into a raceway. :roll:
Good catch Trevor. I mentioned that about 2 years ago when I joined the forum and I got pooh poohed and was told no inspector would turn that down for a back to back connection like that.

In my case I used the nipple to bring a piece of #6 as the EGC between an exterior main panel to an interior sub panel . The feeders were also in that nipple. I was a good 45 minutes to the supply house and I didn't have a piece of #6 stranded on the truck. Got red tagged for it.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe 'big blue wire nuts' are listed for 2-#6 conductors, in the USA.
I am confused by that with this statement from CSA.:-? You may be correct I just don't see why.Statement from Ideal

Features

• UL Listed and CSA certified.
  • Building wiring rated at 600 volt max.
  • Lighting fixtures ans signs rated at 1000 volt max.
  • UL 94V-2 flame-retardant thermoplastic shell.
  • Fixed square wiring spring which grabs wire tightly.
  • 150 pieces to a bag.
Fully accredited by the Occupational Health and Safety Association (OSHA) as a National Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL), CSA marks are used and sold across the U.S.
We've Got The Recognition You Need. CSA marked products are used and sold in the U.S. everyday. Not only are we accredited by ANSI and NES but as a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) accredited by OSHA, CSA International can test and certify your products-following standardized test protocols-in laboratories across the U.S.
Generally speaking, all OSHA accredited laboratories conduct their tests against the same sets of U.S. standards and codes, regardless of who authors or publishes them. CSA International tests to applicable U.S. standards, including ANSI, UL, CSA, NSF, and many others.

Last edited:

benaround

Dennis,

On the bag that I looked at it had a top section that was UL and 2 #6's were not on the

list. The bottom was CSA and 2 #6's were ok ? Go figure ! Check it out next time you have

the time and interest.

310-3

310-3

310-3 from 2005 NEC code edition

Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways, conductors of size
8 AWG and larger shall be stranded

Status
Not open for further replies.