certification renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!!! i have let my CA state journeyman card get down 2 the niddy griddy. it expires in december. should i retake the test or do i have enough time to get in my required hours? i dont have a lot of money so im looking 4 the cheapest option.

e57

Welcome to the confusion, and contradiction that is the Electrician Certification program.

Start by going through all three pages of this thread. Remembering that the DAS is in their own little world that they get to dream up wacky rules at will, and even in those - they get to change their mind about both the interpetation of them, and how to enforce them. The stupid part is they don't have to tell you - ANYTHING. No warnings - just 'Sorry you have no right to work for a living because we say so...' And - they are all known LIARS.... Or they really do have NO CLUE as to what they are doing.

So in your reading of that thread - you will note that Dan and myself go back and forth about a few things.... Eventually, coming to the conclusion that 'you could let it expire and re-take the test'.... However - I will remind you that NO ONE can be trusted in the DAS! If you choose to do that - get it in writing to you from that - Luisa Martinez... If she is not responsive - E-mail ALL of her superiors.... If they decide to change their minds again about this - you want to have re-course, and substantiation IMO.

That said I feel there is risk involved by not doing the continuing education. And there is even risk of taking the WRONG continuing education, as there are many products on the market. Many of the cheaper things out there are not accepted, most of the class-room "classes" are full, hard to schedule, and often many miles away.... Much of the online stuff can be piece-meal.... There is however a good Mike Holt course - but you can NOT BUY it from him!!!! You have to buy the course from an approved school! Anyway, although I have not done it myself - I think it is one of the bigger bang for buck things out there at the moment. Here: And do shop around - but make sure what you do will be accepted.

SpiderMT

Just so you know, I recently had to renew my card and sent in certificates from a couple of courses I took from Mike Holt, one from the NFPA and one from from an estimating course for some software I purchased. I figured they would reject ALL of my hours because they were not on the new approved list (I don't think there was any kind of list at all for continuing ed. when I got my card in '04). I got a letter about two weeks later stating my new card would be sent out soon and I received my new card about two weeks ago, so there are just more written but unenforced rules. If you've taken any classes and gotten CE hours you may want to try sending them in and see if it works.

e57

~ I figured they would reject ALL of my hours because they were not on the new approved list (I don't think there was any kind of list at all for continuing ed. when I got my card in '04). I got a letter about two weeks later stating my new card would be sent out soon and I received my new card about two weeks ago, so there are just more written but unenforced rules. If you've taken any classes and gotten CE hours you may want to try sending them in and see if it works.
As I mentioned - they seem to enforce things at whim, and through layers of contradiction. The biggest problem is that you don't know when they are gonna do the switcharoo on you. They did not have a list of any schools "approved" for continuing ed until a few months ago - they said it didn't matter.... Then all of a sudden it mattered... They said you did not have to provide proof, then all of a sudden you did. They said you would be working illegally if you allowed your certification to expire and would need to do both the continuing ed, and re-take the test - then said you dont need the continuing ed if you let it expire - what was the point anyway???? Oh - they can not be trusted! :mad: As it seems they don't care about the "approved" CEU's that they made a big fuss about.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had to renew ealier this year. I sent in a bunch of CEU certificates (copies) that I got from IAEI seminars and VIOLA! I'm good for another 3 years. What I don't fully understand is why so many good and profesional electricians do not crave continueing education. This industry is changing so rapidly that I don't see how a JW can avoid several training sessions/year and still hope to be up to speed.

e57

I had to renew ealier this year. I sent in a bunch of CEU certificates (copies) that I got from IAEI seminars and VIOLA! I'm good for another 3 years.
I assume you did this before the requirement for the classes to be from an "approved" source? I don't think the IAEI has a 'school number'.

SpiderMT

That's what I was getting at. I sent my hours in after the new "approved CEU" rule and it was not an issue at all. I'm all for education and try to learn as much as I can all the time, the fact that they approved my hours and bkludecke's seems to give precedence to the board approving any class related to our industry that you might take. I don't have any approved schools for continuing ed in my area so short of joining WECA or travelling I'm kinda stuck anyways.

e57

I don't think anyone is minding the store.
Apparently they have busted about a dozen C-10's so far, and have fined them, and made moves on one guy who lacked a license.... Supposedly from what I have gathered, the enforcement from the CSLB side is supposed to be progressively stricter as time goes along - since they are only just starting, since the law has been forced on them to enforce now, they are making some examples, then they will get hasher....

e57

Some enforcement news:
http://www.weca-iec.org/newsDetail.asp?newsUID=1018&Category=NEWS_J

Mr. Fogt referred to the enforcement of implementing SB 1362 to ensure C-10 Electrical contractors are adhering to the new law when it goes into effect July 1, 2009. Richard Markeson, Western Electrical Contractors, addressed the Board and audience, expressing appreciation to Mike Brown and David Fogt in CSLB?s commitment in using progressive discipline to ensure electrical contractors? compliance with this new law.
RE: http://www.cslb.ca.gov/GeneralInfor...gendasAndMinutes2008/BoardMinutes20081120.asp

Anyway - from what I understand at the moment - is they are issuing fines for the time being, and later will be suspending, and if egregious revoking licenses....

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..they are issuing fines for the time being, and later will be suspending, and if egregious revoking licenses....

Q. What prevents contractor's labor from using certification# from previous employees?

Except previous employees letting the certification laps, because they get smart or licensed.

Does anyone know if the 32 hours of continued education still required if you are retaking the exam; due to expiration of the CA certification?

e57

Does anyone know if the 32 hours of continued education still required if you are retaking the exam; due to expiration of the CA certification?
According to an email i got from the dope in charge of this mess - NO... However she has been known to reverse what she says at whim...

Status
Not open for further replies.