Disconnect needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mn7

I am going to install a 100amp 12circuit outdoor panel on a telephone pole. It will be fed from a terminal box. Do i need a disconnect(back feed a breaker) or can I go straight into the terminals? Thank you in advance!

Buck Parrish

You can not have more then 6 motions of the hand to turn every thing off.
If your in 08
You can mix lighting and equipment
I think that's it

Last edited:

Cavie

I am going to install a 100amp 12circuit outdoor panel on a telephone pole. It will be fed from a terminal box. Do i need a disconnect(back feed a breaker) or can I go straight into the terminals? Thank you in advance!

What is a terminal box? What is this panel feeding?( not that it matters)

jimmyglen

sorry about the hijack

I found what I was thinking about in 225.31 (thanks Iwire - I searched the forum and found an older Iwire post)

back to the original question

why not just go ahead and put in a main? - also search the forum and you find more info

Roach

Basement Subpanel

Basement Subpanel

Hi , I'm not sure I am posting this in the right place but I would like to get some advice .
I am adding about 1200 sqft of finished space in my basement. My current panel is a bit full so i want to add a 100A Sub Panel, going to have around 22 recessed lights, ejector pump circuit, Dehumidifier Circuit, sink pump circuit, outlets.

Buck Parrish

Hi , I'm not sure I am posting this in the right place but I would like to get some advice .
I am adding about 1200 sqft of finished space in my basement. My current panel is a bit full so i want to add a 100A Sub Panel, going to have around 22 recessed lights, ejector pump circuit, Dehumidifier Circuit, sink pump circuit, outlets.

So what's the question?

glene77is

MN,

(1) Run 4 conductors as 2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 EGC.
-( to the sub-panel.)
(2) Back-Feed a 100 Amp CB.
-(will be your Main, allowing many other branch breakers.)
(3) Do not bond the Sub-Panel neutral to the can.
-(Neutral is already established at the Primary Panel.)
(4) Do install the GEC system.
-(separate building structure, for lightning suppression).
(5) Do whatever iWire suggests.

:)

Roach

The main panel is 200 amp and there are 4 open spaces . I would like to know if adding a 100 amp subpanel would be taxing the limits of the main panel.

The panel is 200 Amp service- only 4 empty breaker slots - big ones are two central AC units, with 30amp breakers and an electric Oven with a 40amp breaker.
My plan was to add a 100amp breaker to feed the subpanel (with a main breaker, ) , I was planning to use #4 wire to feed the subpanel.
My biggest concern is that I may be adding too much by adding 100 amp subpanel , it is likely that the basement will get a fair amount of use .

This is what will be in the basement:
I am adding about 1200 sqft of finished space in my basement. My current panel is a bit full so i want to add a 100A Sub Panel, going to have around 22 recessed lights, ejector pump circuit, Dehumidifier Circuit, sink pump circuit, outlets

I understand , calling an electrician is best , I work as an electrician helper, I am trying to learn as projects arise.

Last edited:

pete m.

The main panel is 200 amp and there are 4 open spaces . I would like to know if adding a 100 amp subpanel would be taxing the limits of the main panel.

Adding a sub-panel does nothing to increase load.

My plan was to add a 100amp breaker to feed the subpanel (with a main breaker, )

Why two 100 amp breakers? The 100 amp breaker that you add to the service panel will provide the required protection for the sub-panel as long as the sub-panel has buss rated at least 100 amps.

I was planning to use #4 wire to feed the subpanel.
My biggest concern is that I may be adding too much by adding 100 amp subpanel , it is likely that the basement will get a fair amount of use.

I dont think that the 4awg conductor you are proposing is adequately protected by the 100 amp breaker.

This is what will be in the basement:
I am adding about 1200 sqft of finished space in my basement. My current panel is a bit full so i want to add a 100A Sub Panel, going to have around 22 recessed lights, ejector pump circuit, Dehumidifier Circuit, sink pump circuit, outlets

I understand , calling an electrician is best , I work as an electrician helper, I am trying to learn as projects arise.

You will want to talk to the electrician that you "help" and have them show you the proper way to perform a load calculation. This is the only way you will determine if the existing 200 amp panel will be overloaded by the additional load you are proposing for the basement finish.

Pete

Roach

Thanks guys , I appreciate your input.\I do plan to have him show me the way to calculate the load,I was hoping someone here might tell me as well , I just want to be as well informed as I can before I get to this job. Maybe I just over think it, but I just wanted to be as efficient as possible when I do get to the job.

Roach

Ok guys , this is what was proposed to me as the job we will be doing.
Anyone wanna help me understand this ?
According to the guy I'm working with we will be using a 60 amp panel with #6 Romex and a 50 amp breaker in the main panel. Number 6 Romex is limited to 55 amps.
He says this gives you 50 amps at 240 volts, 100 amps at 120 volts.
He says this will give us plenty of power and leave room for expansion.
I'm a little unclear about the 50 amp breaker giving us 50 amps at 240 volts, and 100 amps at 120 volts, How does the 50 amp breaker create 50 amps at 240 volts and how does it become 100 amps at 120 volts?
Again please bare with me if I sound stupid here but I am learning and I really do appreciate your opinions.

pete m.

Ok guys , this is what was proposed to me as the job we will be doing.
Anyone wanna help me understand this ?
According to the guy I'm working with we will be using a 60 amp panel with #6 Romex and a 50 amp breaker in the main panel. Number 6 Romex is limited to 55 amps.
He says this gives you 50 amps at 240 volts, 100 amps at 120 volts.
He says this will give us plenty of power and leave room for expansion.
I'm a little unclear about the 50 amp breaker giving us 50 amps at 240 volts, and 100 amps at 120 volts, How does the 50 amp breaker create 50 amps at 240 volts and how does it become 100 amps at 120 volts?
Again please bare with me if I sound stupid here but I am learning and I really do appreciate your opinions.

You will have a feeder that is rated at 50 amps 240 volts. With a 120 volt load you would still be limited to 50 amps. You have two phases each phase measured to the grounded or grounding conductor should give you a nominal 120 volts. Each of these phases are in series with a 50 amp overcurrent device. With the proposed configuration you will not be able to serve a 100 amp load at 240 or 120 volts.

Pete

Roach

Subpanel

Subpanel

Thanks , that is exactly what I thought .
If my thinking is correct , we need to first (calculate the load as suggested by you earlier).
And use the 100amp subpanel with a lug main and the 100 amp breaker being in the main panel as the feeding breaker.I see what you mean about having 2 100 amp breakers ,I was under the impression we were going to use a preloaded panel from Homee Depot (square d) But I see what you mean no need for 2 breakers ,
I am a little confused about what you said about the 4awg feeder wire , is this not the right size wire? What wire would you recommend if I may ask?
Again I wanna thank everyone here , you have no idea how much I have learned from all of you guys , just reading here is like having a real good book!

Status
Not open for further replies.