Lamp Cord extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transportation Guy

Hello. I have a customer who lives in an assisted living home and she has 2 lamps in the middle of her den. She needs to plug them in but cant have cords exposed. I have never ran a cord under a rug but that is what she is asking me to do. I would have to extend the lamp cords and run them under the area rug(which has hard wood flooring underneath) and plug in to the wall. She is the only occupant so wear and tear on the wire isnt a concern but i am concerned about heat.

Any and all suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Pete
Virginia

iwire

Staff member
Lamp cord under rug? That just screams fire hazard.

I do not have any great ideas other than her deciding to rearrange the furniture.

I guess if she can live with the bump you could run a type of wire mold under the rug.

Wire mold makes a pretty flat metal raceway for running across floors.

http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/prod/wiremold-surface_raceways/2600-10_w007587.php

They also make rubber ones that are only .65" high.

http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/prod/wiremold-surface_raceways/yl1400-50_w007625.php

480sparky

If there's a crawlspace or unfinished basement underneath, adding a floor recep would be a piece of cake.

Even a half-finished basement would not rule out installing one.

Oh, and welcome to the fourm!
emoticons_spot_party.gif

bobsherwood

I agree with Bob. A floor outlet could create a trip hazard. I would do the flat rubber raceway. I've used them and they aren't so bad under a rug.

480sparky

If there's a lamp out in the middle of the room, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts there other furniture out there as well.... end table, couch, chair. I'd put the recep under the furniture.

No more trip hazard.

bobsherwood

hey sparky... while you are correct, under a table is good and then she re arranges the furniture. Sorry.. I've done so many floor outlets just to have new persons move in and want the either moved or removed... just been my luck with them.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would use the afore-mentioned rubber wireway, but I wouldn't bother running it under the afore-mentioned rug in case of the afore-mentioned room rearrangement.

Besides, is there a problem with using these various extension items as substitution for permanent wiring methods?

Cavie

The ALF probibly will not let you install a floor outlet. ARCA inspectors will not allow the rubber wireways. (trip hazard). Been there done that. Worked as maintenance for 4 years. Rearange the furniture and live with it. It was always a sore subject when I worked there. It was a high dollar joint. these people could not understand why they could not have it as it was in the private home. To make matters worse, the nurses helped arrange the furniture anyway they wanted it and installed the cords for them. I went thru the building monthly and removed cords on a regular basis.

Transportation Guy

Thanks guys. I joined the forum a year or so ago but never posted. You would have saved me a few hundred man hours on various other issues i have had. I will keep posting!! As far as the lamp issue, i am going to her appartment tomorrow and try to talk her into rearranging the furniture. She has hardwood floors under the rug on top of concrete. I am thinking the wire mold would be considered a tripping hazard as well.

Thanks for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.