Working space about equipment?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Working space about equipment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinVost

Recently our AHJ has taken up an in-house debate. The basic question is: Is the working space specified in 110.26 required at an unfused disconnect (example-AC pull out)? Some inspectors in our AHJ have made the argument that since it has no serviceable parts inside and any equipment on the load side of the disconnect would be opened for testing, the unfused switch does not require compliance with 110.26. What say you?????

Dave_B

Yes

Yes

I open them when performing service check-ups on the a/c system. We check for tight lugs, corrosion, burnt wiring etc and in trouble shooting . I would consider that service.

Last edited:

e57

Yes!

Yes!

The code for this is wide open in interpetation IMO - essentially any equipment could fall under it in the exstream sense. Phone panels IMO should also be under this code, and you'll get more people scoffing at that.

But - a for instance:
A service call for no power at an AC compressor, you find the breaker energized with the correct voltage, you go to the disconnect, and it is tucked behind the unit, you open the unit and and find one leg is not getting voltage - where do you go? Do you need to troubleshoot this while energized? Is it likely to be energized when any inspection of the disconnect is made for this situation?

However - there is nothing in there about this in 404.8
But maybe also look at 110.3(A)8.... if talking about 110.26

jeremysterling

No

No

I've used them in water heater closets, furnace chases, and hollow spaces behind access panels. There is no way to install these with 110.26 clearance. Even without clearance, I would rather see a pull-out used as a disconnect than a toggle or snap switch used as disconnect.

iwire

Staff member
IMO there is no correct answer, it is within the AHJs discretion to determine if any equipment requires service while it is live.

I open them when performing service check-ups on the a/c system. We check for tight lugs, corrosion, burnt wiring etc and in trouble shooting . I would consider that service.[/quote]

But - a for instance:
A service call for no power at an AC compressor, you find the breaker energized with the correct voltage, you go to the disconnect, and it is tucked behind the unit, you open the unit and and find one leg is not getting voltage - where do you go? Do you need to troubleshoot this while energized? Is it likely to be energized when any inspection of the disconnect is made for this situation?

Both of these scenarios lead one directly to 110.26.

I've used them in water heater closets, furnace chases, and hollow spaces behind access panels. There is no way to install these with 110.26 clearance. Even without clearance, I would rather see a pull-out used as a disconnect than a toggle or snap switch used as disconnect.

I completely disagree with that statement. Plan, Plan and plan a little more.

e57

IMO there is no correct answer, it is within the AHJs discretion to determine if any equipment requires service while it is live.

Barring that, I do a "what if I'm the sucker" analysis. If I'm the sucker who has to look for it, and climb under a house to get to it - it gets work space.... Even if I'm not the sucker. But if the Inspector wants it - we gotta move it - so why not give it work space in the first place?

Mr. Bill

Is the poll about 110.26 or really about 110.26(A)? I think the later since there's no arguement about 110.26.

There is no practical difference between a non-fused disconnect switch and a light switch. If inspectors are going to require non-fused disconnect switches to have a Working Space in front of it then I would love to have them apply this equally to a light switch. This would effectivly bar switches above counters in kitchens for lights and sink disposals. Would inspectors stand up to the backlash from this interpretation?

joebell

I maybe wrong but isn't 110.26(A) in contradiction with NFPA 70E. The only work authorized would be the examination and troubleshooting not adjustment and servicing.

As to the OP if it isjust lugs and wire there isn't much there that would need troubleshooting. Maintenance of this type of switch should be done de energized.

RICK NAPIER

If it is simply a disconnecting means I do not think 110-26 applies. If you apply 110-26 here how can you treat a disposal disconnect over the kitchen counter any different.

iwire

Staff member
Barring that, I do a "what if I'm the sucker" analysis. If I'm the sucker who has to look for it, and climb under a house to get to it - it gets work space.... Even if I'm not the sucker. But if the Inspector wants it - we gotta move it - so why not give it work space in the first place?

Well because I do not want a hard and fast rule that all unfused switches have to comply with 110.26.

I am all for providing as much working space as we can, but if we say 110.26 always applies to unfused disconnects I am really going to have a problem with AHUs and other equipment located above suspended ceilings.

Beyond that as Rick N mentions what about switches above counters etc.

It seems this rule must remain flexible and at the discretion of the AHJ or inspector. I don't like having to guess what they will expect but I still don't want 110.26 to be set in stone that every switch needs to comply.

One more issue is the wording, IMO there is no electrical equipment that actually requires working on it live and 70 E pretty much backs that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.