SK5280 Annunciator problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

moresi

Just finished install of SK 5280 panel with remote annunciator. Final part of job was to install annunciator to make job 100% complete and what do you know I get message on annunciator saying Key Bus Trouble. I check all connections and wiring - no faults all seems good. Try another annunciator and same problem. Try direct connect at panel and still same problem. Any suggestions? Only odd thing is I notice a jumper clip in main panel next to terminal bus for annunciator that seems to be missing top. Other Sk-5280 panels I check do not have this.

nhfire77

Just finished install of SK 5280 panel with remote annunciator. Final part of job was to install annunciator to make job 100% complete and what do you know I get message on annunciator saying Key Bus Trouble. I check all connections and wiring - no faults all seems good. Try another annunciator and same problem. Try direct connect at panel and still same problem. Any suggestions? Only odd thing is I notice a jumper clip in main panel next to terminal bus for annunciator that seems to be missing top. Other Sk-5280 panels I check do not have this.

you must be referring to a silent knight 5820XL panel right? There is a 5280 status module part number. The annc is a 5860 right?

It was displaying KEY bus trouble? That cannot be right, it said SBUS right?

Did you check the DIP switches, is it's ID number correctly set?

Where is this jumper located again?

Last edited:

Security101

I too wish to verify your part #'s...

One more thing besides the questions from nhfire, check real good the locations of your wires under the terminals, I have had a few of these panels where the numbers on the board don't line up so well with the screws.

Myself and others have actually been off one screw to the left*, putting the sbus (-) on term 24 (relay #2's N/C term) and the rest follow to the right - off just one. Just something to double check...

Are you using class a or b for the annunciator?

I'll bet it's the dips though.

Jim

*old and cant see as good as I used to :grin:

moresi

I made a mistake. The panel that I am having the problem with is and Sk-5280. This is a non-addressable system. The annunciator is a SK-5235. I get the message Key Bus Trouble when I hook it up. Thoughts?

nhfire77

Is it a 5207 or 5208 or one of those 6324 panels? You still have not told us this.

And again I would check all dip switch settings and correct wiring, the 6324 has 3 terminals the 5207, 5208 have 4 on the bus.

If its a 5208 three things apply:

1. Switch Settings: Up = On Down = Off
2. Setting 0 Not supervised.
3. ID number 7 and 8 are not valid ID settings.

scannless

I don't believe that the 5207 will run the the 5235, so it must be the 5208. I would definitely follow the advice above, or it is possible that the SBUS out on the main panel is bad, we use a lot of SK panels and have had a few different SBUS problems. Mostly when we get these troubles with new installs it is a wiring issue, typically on the com side of the SBUS.

On a side note it actually does say "key bus" when there is a problem with the SBUS. I know doesn't make sense to me either... :confused:

moresi

OK - one more try. The panel is a SK-5208. I do not know why I am having such difficulty typing in the correct number and I appologize for the confusion. I did set the DIP switches on the annunciator. I even tried directly connecting an annunciator to the panel. I do not even get an AC power LED light but I get the message - Key Bus Trouble. Am I missing something on the panel or is it safe to assume that perhaps the board is bad. Never had this problem before.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Flip Flop?

Flip Flop?

If you are using the 5235 Remote Annunciator module, is it possible you have wired it to the terminal set for the 5280 Status Module (terminals 26-29) instead of the terminal set for the 5235 Remote Annunciator (terminals 30-33)?

Make sure that the program is set to supervise the 5235 in "Misc Systems" > "5235 Keypads". As nhfire77 pointed out, if you use address "0" it won't be supervised, so start with "1" or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.