Service panel grounding rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

phils45

I was recently trying to put in a standard 8' grounding rod for a service panel. After trying several locatons/angles I was unable to get the rod more the 10" deep. I was even using an electric hammer. When I dug the ground up a little I just find lots of rocks. Any suggestions on how to get this rod in the ground? :-?

hurk27

I have used a 6' concrete bit in our hammer drill to pre drill the hole to get past back fill rocks (the drill just pushes most of the rocks aside) some contractors thinks its a neat idea to get rid of this way, then just use the hammer drill to drive it the rest of the way.

I use a Milwaukee spline drive, it works great, and even shaves off the mushroom head as you drive. We had a tool company here get us the 6'x7/8" bit, but it was expensive.

iwire

Staff member
I have used a 6' concrete bit in our hammer drill to pre drill the hole to get past back fill rocks (the drill just pushes most of the rocks aside) some contractors thinks its a neat idea to get rid of this way, then just use the hammer drill to drive it the rest of the way.

I use a Milwaukee spline drive, it works great, and even shaves off the mushroom head as you drive. We had a tool company here get us the 6'x7/8" bit, but it was expensive.

Seems to me that does not meet the requirement that the rod be driven in.:grin:

macmikeman

Besides the trench/concrete option, the other thing that sometimes works is upsizing the electric driver to a 90 lb hammer. That large jackhammer often can do what the smaller 30 lb hammers cannot . We get that rock problem sometimes in lava land also, or at least we used to before 2005 got adopted. Attaching a clamp to some rebar seems easier to do, at least for me it works out that way.

tryinghard

Our area has a lot of granite so we usually use our Bosch Brute 60lb electric jackhammer. Often you can feel the rod weaving around/through the granite, but sometimes we have to angel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.