Parallel conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

If I run 3/0 parrelled for a 400 amp service in a gutter for 15 ft can I drop down out of the gutter to the disconect in two pipes or do I need to use just one. Is there an advantage of using two pipes over 1 or vice versa? Derating?

Last edited by a moderator:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One conduit over 24" long will trigger derating factors for the conductors. If more than 24" you should probably use two conduits.

arnettda

So for paralled conductors in EMT over 24" you should always use two pipes?
Where can I read this? Thanks

arnettda

One conduit over 24" long will trigger derating factors for the conductors. If more than 24" you should probably use two conduits.

Sorry I did not read it close enough. So derating and pipe size are really the only two concerns for having all conductors in one pipe.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sorry I did not read it close enough. So derating and pipe size are really the only two concerns for having all conductors in one pipe.

If you use two pipes, be sure you have each phase and the grounded conductor (if present) in each pipe (as opposed to both A phases in 1 pipe, etc).
also if you are installing an equipment grounding conductor, it must be in each raceway.

hardworkingstiff

If you use two pipes, be sure you have each phase and the grounded conductor (if present) in each pipe (as opposed to both A phases in 1 pipe, etc).
also if you are installing an equipment grounding conductor, it must be in each raceway.

And doesn't it need to be sized to the sum of the phase conductors (not just the conductors in the one conduit)?

Status
Not open for further replies.