Distribution question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacG

Greetings All,

I have seen drawings for a high school where there are dedicated IG branch circuits for each classroom having projectors and associated AV equipment (amplifiers, video playback, some voice amplification etc.)

This high school (already built) has about ten buildings distributed across campus. I did not see the final build out so I cannot say how this was handled but what are some ways that this could be accomplished?

I am thinking that one transformer to a main panel on campus and then to sub-panels to each building is one way (seems expensive, trenching etc). Another way is to use a small transformer in each building to a dedicated AV panel board and branch circuit from there.

What would be your theoretical preference in a scenario like this?

Thanks,

MacG

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
An "IG" receptacle is usually just a special receptacle that has an "insulated" ground wire ran back to the main panel in the same building.

Steve

beanland

School

School

I have been working on a large high school campus. 480Y/277 2400A service. 480Y/277V services to each building. Multiple 480V-208Y/120 or 480V-120/240V transformers feeding subpanels in each building. Lighting and HVAC on 480V. Receptacles and small motors on 120V.

IG - isolated ground. Means the ground is not common to the other receptacles but proceeds back to the distribution panel from the receptacle.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Insulated or isolated?

It depends on if you are reading 250.146(D) or 517.16 :grin: One uses the term isolated, and the other uses the term insulated.

The receptacles are sold as "isolated ground receptacles". But I think a better term for the actual installation is an "insulated ground receptacle."

After all, the receptacle doesn't have any isolation from ground (at least once it is installed, it doesn't). And, IMO, calling these "isolated receptacles" causes confusion between these and the "isolated power supplies" used in hospital operating rooms.

STeve

MacG

It depends on if you are reading 250.146(D) or 517.16 :grin: One uses the term isolated, and the other uses the term insulated.

The receptacles are sold as "isolated ground receptacles". But I think a better term for the actual installation is an "insulated ground receptacle."

After all, the receptacle doesn't have any isolation from ground (at least once it is installed, it doesn't). And, IMO, calling these "isolated receptacles" causes confusion between these and the "isolated power supplies" used in hospital operating rooms.

STeve

I beg to differ. There is no self grounding tab on an IG outlet thus separating the ground lug (screw) from the mounting ears. This isolates the insulated safety ground from the rest of the metallic electrical conduit and metal contacts in the building which keeps induced currents and stray voltages from a variety of things including bootleg grounds out of the AV system while they try to find their way back to their transformer. These microvoltages can cause audio hum and video roll among other interesting audio and visual effects - none of which the customer has to pay for but neither do they have an interest in such "freebies".:grin:

MacG

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I beg to differ. There is no self grounding tab on an IG outlet thus separating the ground lug (screw) from the mounting ears. This isolates the insulated safety ground from the rest of the metallic electrical conduit and metal contacts in the building which keeps induced currents and stray voltages from a variety of things including bootleg grounds out of the AV system while they try to find their way back to their transformer. These microvoltages can cause audio hum and video roll among other interesting audio and visual effects - none of which the customer has to pay for but neither do they have an interest in such "freebies".:grin:

MacG

The safety ground may be isolated when you take the receptacle out of the box, but what do you connect to that safety ground when you install the receptacle? :) After the installation is said and done, the safety ground is still connected to main ground, which is connected to all the conduit and building steel and everything else.

I know it still gets rid of alot of hum and noise and such, but it does this by eliminating ground loops, and making a single point connection to the grounding system.

I just think "isolated" isn't the best word to use for "connected at one point". But, the code book seems to use both "insulated" and "isolated", so I don't think we can say either is wrong. You say tomato.....:grin:

MacG

I have been working on a large high school campus. 480Y/277 2400A service. 480Y/277V services to each building. Multiple 480V-208Y/120 or 480V-120/240V transformers feeding subpanels in each building. Lighting and HVAC on 480V. Receptacles and small motors on 120V.

IG - isolated ground. Means the ground is not common to the other receptacles but proceeds back to the distribution panel from the receptacle.

Beanland,

That does make sense. We generally specify a separate "technical" power panel. As the AV industry grows towards digital and becomes more prevalent in class rooms we are needing systems that are for lack of a better term "clean". Since microvoltages matter in these systems and stray voltages try to find their way back home like panicked little kids and just start looking for any way home, we need to isolate from all thing metallic that provide a path for those strays and provide a low impedance path back to the subpanel for our gear. Actually we are moving to specifying potted double shielded isolation transformers wired for 120 parallel (vs 240 center tapped) with either two neutrals or a single double sized conductor to feed the AV panel.

Have you seen this kind of thing in the field yet?

MacG

MacG

The safety ground may be isolated when you take the receptacle out of the box, but what do you connect to that safety ground when you install the receptacle? :) After the installation is said and done, the safety ground is still connected to main ground, which is connected to all the conduit and building steel and everything else.

I know it still gets rid of alot of hum and noise and such, but it does this by eliminating ground loops, and making a single point connection to the grounding system.

I just think "isolated" isn't the best word to use for "connected at one point". But, the code book seems to use both "insulated" and "isolated", so I don't think we can say either is wrong. You say tomato.....:grin:

Thinking in terms of device. The ground lug is isolated from the mounting ears of the device which is connected to the rest of the metallic piping and building components which do go back to the ground in the panel. I am thinking in terms of an isthmus where the land erodes away (or the sea level rises or whatever) and the people are then isolated from the mainland and therefore insulated from it's cultural effects (electrical noise from the mainland).

By not self grounding to the junction box (as you mentioned) one breaks the ground loop and the aggregate noise of the buildings systems stay out of the AV system. The isolated ground system does not guarantee a noise free system however it prevents by design the vast majority of the noise pool found in the building's systems from trying to use the AV equipment as a path home.

tomahto :grin:

MacG

hurk27

Thinking in terms of device. The ground lug is isolated from the mounting ears of the device which is connected to the rest of the metallic piping and building components which do go back to the ground in the panel. I am thinking in terms of an isthmus where the land erodes away (or the sea level rises or whatever) and the people are then isolated from the mainland and therefore insulated from it's cultural effects (electrical noise from the mainland).

By not self grounding to the junction box (as you mentioned) one breaks the ground loop and the aggregate noise of the buildings systems stay out of the AV system. The isolated ground system does not guarantee a noise free system however it prevents by design the vast majority of the noise pool found in the building's systems from trying to use the AV equipment as a path home.

tomahto :grin:

MacG

The problem I see is in most NEC compliant installations there is usually no need for ISG's this is because there should be no current on the grounding to start with, now in the real world we no this is not always the case, but it should be, because if you have current on the grounding then you have a safety problem.

But when you mention School this brought a whole new problem to mind, crossing from one supply system to another.

this in itself will render a ISG system useless, having the ISG in one building land at it's panel, and having another ISG land at a panel in another building will cause current flow on other parallel paths between these two buildings, its un avoidable, I have done A/V, computer, and other shielded LV system between buildings and the only way to install a compliant system is to do common path isolation, simple isolation transformers at each building on the signal lines will go along way to keep unwanted noise out of a system. each application can have its own challenge. but proper isolation at the signal level goes much farther then trying to do ground isolation. there is no true NEC compliant way to do ground isolation that meets code.
And it helps with lightning if one building gets struck.

One method that is used but can have problems is the real technical power supply, its nothing but a 120 volt transformer with a 60 volt bonded center tap.
one of the problems with it is the 60 volts to ground, it wont clear breakers fast enough, so ground fault protection must be used, it does lesson the noise levels but does not get rid of the noise completely, and since the center tap is grounded to the service neutral, it will not stop cross building current,

I spent a long time at Electro-Voice at Buchanan, Mi. learning all about commercial audio systems and receiving a sound contractors certificate to be able to do there installs, and one thing I learned is you can't get away from dirty grounds, but you can stop the 60hz current from flowing on your signal grounds by isolation in the signal cable. simple 1 to 1 600/1000 ohm transformers work great.

there are many systems with problems that can cause A/V problems, like cable TV, bring in a cable from the pole and it will be bonded to the MGN out on the pole, and again to the service grounding, it is already a parallel path for the neutral, now tie it to a A/V system and this current will put 60hz all over your system, use a 75 ohm 1 to 1 isolation balun and it's gone.

this is why I say it is very important for A/V techs to learn the art of low level signal isolation instead of trying to buck the NEC in isolating the electrical grounding.
you will find it is much easier.;)

Last edited:

jeremysterling

I am thinking that one transformer to a main panel on campus and then to sub-panels to each building is one way (seems expensive, trenching etc).

Another way is to use a small transformer in each building to a dedicated AV panel board and branch circuit from there.

What would be your theoretical preference in a scenario like this?

Thanks,

MacG

Without knowing all the particulars such as building size or distance between buildings, I would still think a small transformer in each bldg to a "TP" (Tech Power) panel is the way to go.

And, by all means, insist that this panel serve nothing but isolated ground circuits. :roll:

MacG

The problem I see is in most NEC compliant installations there is usually no need for ISG's this is because there should be no current on the grounding to start with, now in the real world we no this is not always the case, but it should be, because if you have current on the grounding then you have a safety problem.

In most? What are the few that you understand IG's to be beneficial?

But when you mention School this brought a whole new problem to mind, crossing from one supply system to another.

this in itself will render a ISG system useless, having the ISG in one building land at it's panel, and having another ISG land at a panel in another building will cause current flow on other parallel paths between these two buildings, its un avoidable, I have done A/V, computer, and other shielded LV system between buildings and the only way to install a compliant system is to do common path isolation, simple isolation transformers at each building on the signal lines will go along way to keep unwanted noise out of a system. each application can have its own challenge. but proper isolation at the signal level goes much farther then trying to do ground isolation.

That may be but we are not passing signals between buildings except when there is a campus wide RF distribution then we use a balun or isolation transformer as you suggest.

there is no true NEC compliant way to do ground isolation that meets code.

Addressed with my end comment.

One method that is used but can have problems is the real technical power supply, its nothing but a 120 volt transformer with a 60 volt bonded center tap.
one of the problems with it is the 60 volts to ground, it wont clear breakers fast enough, so ground fault protection must be used, it does lesson the noise levels but does not get rid of the noise completely, and since the center tap is grounded to the service neutral, it will not stop cross building current,

My understanding at this point is that these balanced power arrangements do nothing for noise in an AV system. They are as you mentioned fraught with problems including the GFCI's but also must be used in restricted areas (not for general public) and under close supervision (not a high school control room). We are looking at Same Phase (120/120) systems vs a center tapped or split single phase (120/240) arrangement. The neutral has to be doubled up in one way or another. These transformers are to be double shielded as well for common mode noise rejection.

I spent a long time at Electro-Voice at Buchanan, Mi. learning all about commercial audio systems and receiving a sound contractors certificate to be able to do there installs, and one thing I learned is you can't get away from dirty grounds, but you can stop the 60hz current from flowing on your signal grounds by isolation in the signal cable. simple 1 to 1 600/1000 ohm transformers work great.

The Jensen transformers are industry standard for this. Particularly where something like a monitor split panel is used for monitor mixing and/or a remote mix position is required.

there are many systems with problems that can cause A/V problems, like cable TV, bring in a cable from the pole and it will be bonded to the MGN out on the pole, and again to the service grounding, it is already a parallel path for the neutral, now tie it to a A/V system and this current will put 60hz all over your system, use a 75 ohm 1 to 1 isolation balun and it's gone.

this is why I say it is very important for A/V techs to learn the art of low level signal isolation instead of trying to buck the NEC in isolating the electrical grounding.
you will find it is much easier.;)

I know that you are saying that the NEC is being skirted in the use of these isolated ground systems but I spec these systems and licensed EC's put them in and inspectors pass them. Could you tell me what sections are being violated?

Respectfully,

MacG

MacG

Without knowing all the particulars such as building size or distance between buildings, I would still think a small transformer in each bldg to a "TP" (Tech Power) panel is the way to go.

Thank you.

And, by all means, insist that this panel serve nothing but isolated ground circuits. :roll:

This is what we specify and in fact it may get installed that way. Maybe we should specify a label for this specialty panel board to help alert a guy or gal (don't want to leave the ladies out:grin:) to not install something like a sump pump circuit in it later...:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.