capacitor calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to figure out what size capacitor i need. not sure how to symbols, but i will do my best here.

Reactive power (Q) = (sq. rt.)of (apparent power(s))2 - (true power(P))2

so then:

Q=E2/X
or
X=E2/Q
this is the part i need help with. When im working with 480 motors, I would just use the (480)2, not (480 x 1.73)2?

Seems clear as mud to me. lol.

so continuing on this it what i went with

X=(480)2/107kvar

X = 2.153 ohms

then Xc= 1/2(pi)C...............or C=1/2(pi)Xc
so....

C= 1/2(pi)(60hz)(2.153 ohms)

C=123.2 uf

am I correct in my math? I am trying to size my motor capacitors to bring my powerfactor closer to 1.0

bob

Reactive power (Q) = (sq. rt.)of (apparent power(s))2 - (true power(P))2

Reactive power (Q) = (sq. rt.)of (KVA)2 - (KW)2
Your formula is correct. I assume your effort is to correct the existing power factor to a higher value. If so, then you need to determine the KVAR necessary to bring the PF to this higher value. You do not need the capacitor value. Once you determine the total required KVAR you can then determine the values to be installed on your motors. The motor MFG can give you the correct value for each motor.

xsman

Condensing unit pf

Condensing unit pf

I have a 4ton A/C unit and I would like to improve the PF?.... Any help is appreciated

topgone

PFC for 4 Tons A/C

PFC for 4 Tons A/C

I have a 4ton A/C unit and I would like to improve the PF?.... Any help is appreciated
What final PF do you want to achieve? 1.0? or just 0.90?
Here it is (assuming a final PF of 0.9 lagging):

4 Tons A/C with EER of 10 (assumed) will be 4.8 kW electrical (4 X 12,000 BTU/Hr /10 BTU/W-Hr)​
With an initial PF of 0.8:
The kVA = 4.8/0.8 = 6 kVA
The kVars = sqrt(6^2 - 4.8^2) = 3.6 kVars​

If you correct the PF to 0.9:
The kVA = 4.8/0.9 = 5.333 kVA
The new kVar = sqrt(5.33^2-4.8^2) = 2.325 kVars​
The difference in kVars will be the kVar of the capacitor:
Capacitor total kVars = 3.6 - 2.325 = 1.275 kVars​
Per phase kVars = 1.275/3 = 425 Vars​
If the supply voltage is 480V 3-phase and you will connect the capacitors in delta:

Xc = E^2/Qc = 480^2/425 = 542.12 ohms
C = 1/(2 X pi X f X Xc) = 1/(2 X 3.1416 X 60 X 542.12) = 4.89 uF​
That's all.

drbond24

If you have an entirely separate question than the original poster, you need to start your own thread please.

VoltzElectric said:
I am trying to size my motor capacitors to bring my powerfactor closer to 1.0

You just need to run through the power factor correction calculation (which you can probably find on the internet) and as bob said you don't really need to know the capacitance value, just the reactive power you need. I think you'll also actually need to know the existing power factor of the motor that you're trying to change. I'll look in my old textbook later. It's been a little while since I've done it.

xsman

Thanks for your reply, I have a 4 ton 12 seer unit I tried to install 2 80uF caps with 22k resistors in parrallel with the load(compressor) side of the contactor. I have checked the load side and the feed side for change in amp draw and still nothing, is there any way that I can make trhis work. I wanted to upload a diagram but it will not allow me

Status
Not open for further replies.