nema 14-60R

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpeter

Occupation
elevator mechanic / building maintenance
This is just what I need but so far none of the supply houses seem to be able to find it in any of their books. This is a 240v single phase with nuetral and ground recepticle. The reason it is needed is our church wants to do a fish fry fund raiser and the company that will be doing the cooking has 12KW 240v single phase fryers. HE SAYS all you need is a sixty amp breaker on a fifty amp range outlet that he will plug into or he can just hard wire onto the breakers and run out the panel and to his trailer.
Hard wiring to the panel is not going to happen and I cannot find in the code that says it's OK to overload a recepticle.
So I have two questions... Is the 14-60R recepticle available and second is there an exception for cooking equipment that would allow this load on a fifty amp recepticle. Oh and this a 208/120 panel and would be a 57.7amp draw.
Thanks for any help and direction.

480sparky

NEMA 14-60

nema_14-60p.gif

dpeter

Occupation
Thanks so much for the replies.
NAKULAK... nice site. IWIRE...these are what all connecters should be.
So far all are silent about sixty amps on a fifty amp recepticle. I am guessing no such exception?

dpeter

Occupation
I must have an outdated catalogue because Grainger was one of the places I looked. I believe they have an account and they can see for themselves what compliance can cost. Wonder what a generator would cost for a day? I'll check.

iMuse97

My guess is he has male plugs on his equipment that attach to 50A range recepticle. That's why he suggested that. So could he even attach to you 14-60R would be the question, I think. Or am I missing something? If you were doing this at my church the inspectors would get you, b/c they always seem to show up when it looks like we might have anything temporary going on.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As long as you stick to a 60 amp circuit, 210.21 would require a 60 amp receptacle.
I think there is a flaw in your plan, however, if it is a 12kw 240v appliance and you operate it on 208 volts, the draw will NOT be 57.7 amps.
(Unless I made a mathematical mistake it will be 44 amps on 208.)
(someone check me here,please)

Last edited:

dpeter

Occupation
Imuse97 I am pretty sure this is what HE plans on but I have other ideas such as providing a compliant source and he can/must provide means to connect in a compliant way and to take the suprise out of the inpectors visit (which by the way you are so correct) he will be involved before money is spent.
Augie, you are also correct, I did not refigure KW with ohms and new voltage. I will do this shortly. Thanks

whillis

As long as you stick to a 60 amp circuit, 210.21 would require a 60 amp receptacle.
I think there is a flaw in your plan, however, if it is a 12kw 240v appliance and you operate it on 208 volts, the draw will NOT be 57.7 amps.
(Unless I made a mathematical mistake it will be 44 amps on 208.)
(someone check me here,please)

Your calculation is correct.

dpeter

Occupation
I'm back and I come up with 43.333333.. and thank you augie for catching this. I should know better than to assumme the fish fry guy should know what he NEEDS and not just what he WANTS. I work in the commercial end of retail and I always say just tell me what you want and I will decide what you need. Oh and did I say thanks Augie?

Last edited:

Doug S.

Another great, and probably safer way of doing things would be to mount a disco. temporarily. You can feed how you please. No worrying about matching plugs, and I bet a disco. at a surplus joint will be cheaper too.

My 2?
Doug S.

iwire

Staff member
Another great, and probably safer way of doing things would be to mount a disco. temporarily. You can feed how you please. No worrying about matching plugs, and I bet a disco. at a surplus joint will be cheaper too.

My 2?
Doug S.

Doug if your suggesting hardwiring the rubber cord that would be an NEC violation even for a temporary installation

Status
Not open for further replies.