Outdoor Panel and Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid43

Hey, instead of off-setting a 1 1/2 rigid for my service panel overhead, I thought I would just go into the panel from the far right. Thus, will not be needing to use the manufactured entry where the hub normally goes.

Is this do-able or is there more to know than just threading 4 holes and using a hub on the rightside?

Buck Parrish

No it's not "do-able"
You must use it as designed and approoved by ul.
Something to do with non fused wires on the wrong side.
How about a couple of LB,s

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You have to be careful where you enter the panel keeping 408.55 into account. Also, an approved fitting must be used. If you are above the level of uninsulated live parts a fitting listed for wet locations is required.
The factory hub is designed to be installed at specific locations on the panel. If you elect to do otherwise you would need a fitting such as a "Myers" hub or listed means. Drilling new holes for the factory type hub, would, IMHO, not be acceptable.

euclid43

OK, thanks.

I will enter on the vertical right side near the bottom where the ko's are located. Therefore, I would not need a myers hub. (winky).

Buck Parrish

OK, thanks.

I will enter on the vertical right side near the bottom where the ko's are located. Therefore, I would not need a myers hub. (winky).

I don't think it is allowed.
But, I don't have a reference (Just my Opinion) other then useing the panel as it was designed.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Buck, I may be missing something. What is the problem you visualize ?

Buck Parrish

Buck, I may be missing something. What is the problem you visualize ?

Just the non fused circuit passing through the side of the meter that would normally not be energized if the meter is pulled or capped off for non payment.

May be not in the NEC but a poco thing.

celtic

meterpans.jpg

http://www.milbankmfg.com/Products/Catalogs/CatalogFiles/PDF/REC.pdf

Position #2 would be an allowable entry for the OP.

Buck Parrish

Those are showing all knock outs, Load and Line. The matal interior barrier wall shows where the line side is suppose to go. On the left only

Thanks for the photos it helped my side of the debate;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Buck, IF it's a combination meter-breaker, I would agree 100% that the service conductors must be installed in the proper section with the barrier in place. I did not understand from the OP that it was a meter-breaker combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.