Calculating backfeed for Solar PV

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLeary

I just got off the phone with the local electrical sub-code official (NJ) who is reviewing my plans for a residential solar PV installation. I'm the engineer who signed and sealed the drawings and the electrical contractor who is applying for the permit asked me to talk to the official directly. He told me I have it wrong. Here is the situation:
The existing main panel is a 200A bus panel with a 200A main breaker, single phase, 3-wire, 120/240VAC. There are two proposed solar PV inverter output circuits, each with a 2-pole 15A circuit breaker to be placed in the existing main panel.
The way I read Article 690.64(B)(2) I take the 200A bus, multiply that by 120% and get 240A for the maximum OCPD from all sources. I have a 200A main breaker from the utility and two 15A back-fed branch breakers from the solar PV inverters for a total of 230A, therefore the design complies with that article of the code.
The electrical sub-code official (plan reviewer, electrical construction permit issuer, and possibly one of the inspectors too) informed me that i have it wrong. According to him, the bus can never be smaller than the sum of the OCPD feeding the bus. He referenced the same article and said the 120% refers to the main breaker size, meaning the branch breakers can't exceed 20% of the main breaker size. He rejected the design as is and said to look at the panel and see if the bus is rated 240A. (I've never seen a 240A rated bus, 200A yes, 225A yes, 240A no). Regardless, he said the bus must be at least 230A. I told him that this article doesn't say that, and that specifically this article allows the OCPD to exceed the bus rating and he strongly disagreed.
Before I ask to speak to his boss, I'm just asking the forum for a reality check. Sometimes after reading a code section again and again, it stops making sense. So I could have it wrong, or I'm missing a different article.
Thanks in advance for your help.
-Kevin

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I just got off the phone with the local electrical sub-code official (NJ) who is reviewing my plans for a residential solar PV installation. I'm the engineer who signed and sealed the drawings and the electrical contractor who is applying for the permit asked me to talk to the official directly. He told me I have it wrong. Here is the situation:
The existing main panel is a 200A bus panel with a 200A main breaker, single phase, 3-wire, 120/240VAC. There are two proposed solar PV inverter output circuits, each with a 2-pole 15A circuit breaker to be placed in the existing main panel.
The way I read Article 690.64(B)(2) I take the 200A bus, multiply that by 120% and get 240A for the maximum OCPD from all sources. I have a 200A main breaker from the utility and two 15A back-fed branch breakers from the solar PV inverters for a total of 230A, therefore the design complies with that article of the code.
The electrical sub-code official (plan reviewer, electrical construction permit issuer, and possibly one of the inspectors too) informed me that i have it wrong. According to him, the bus can never be smaller than the sum of the OCPD feeding the bus. He referenced the same article and said the 120% refers to the main breaker size, meaning the branch breakers can't exceed 20% of the main breaker size. He rejected the design as is and said to look at the panel and see if the bus is rated 240A. (I've never seen a 240A rated bus, 200A yes, 225A yes, 240A no). Regardless, he said the bus must be at least 230A. I told him that this article doesn't say that, and that specifically this article allows the OCPD to exceed the bus rating and he strongly disagreed.
Before I ask to speak to his boss, I'm just asking the forum for a reality check. Sometimes after reading a code section again and again, it stops making sense. So I could have it wrong, or I'm missing a different article.
Thanks in advance for your help.
-Kevin
The inspector is wrong. You are reading the code correctly. "the bus can never be smaller than the sum of the OCPD feeding the bus" THat is not what is written.

690.64"Exception: for a dwellling unit, the sum of the ampere ratings of the overcurrent devices shall not exeed 120% of the reting of the BUSBAR or CONDUCTOR" 2005 NEC

However the POCO may have a different method for you to use ,but that is a conversation for them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Kevin,
You have it correct. The theory is that because of the rule in 690.64(B)(7) that no point on the panel bus will actually carry more than its rated current.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I just looked at the 08 and it is worded a bit different but the logic is similar. The only difference is that the removed the exception for a dwelling.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is that from the 2008 code?
Yes, that is from the 2008 code.
(7) Inverter Output Connection. Unless the panelboard is rated not less than the sum of the ampere ratings of all overcurrent devices supplying it, a connection in a panelboard shall be positioned at the opposite (load) end from the input feeder location or main circuit location. The bus or conductor rating shall be sized for the loads connected in accordance with Article 220. A permanent warning label shall be applied to the distribution equipment with the following or equivalent marking:
WARNING
INVERTER OUTPUT CONNECTION
DO NOT RELOCATE THIS OVERCURRENT DEVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.