Load Calculation - Tankless Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcotton

A Tankless Water Manufacture claims that their 28.8 KW Intermittent electric device can be installed on one?s "home if the home has a 200 amp electrical service panel (or larger) you likely have enough service to power their unit"? I don?t see that this will work if the home has electric heat! What should my load calculation look like? :-?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Calculate as usual.
Is this a full time residence or a vacation home. just curious.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
RT, welcome to the forum! :)

The tankless water-heater people are generally clueless about the effects their products have on electrical systems. I haven't installed more of them than I have installed because I was candid about it with the potential customer.

One such customer had a single 200a service and a panel that supplied, among other things, a 100a feeder to a detached 4-car garage with an apartment above it, and a 100a feeder to a basement apartment with a separate kicthen.

I explained the risk of simply adding the water heater without doing a service upgrade now, the cost of doing it with an upgrade now, and the cost of doing it later, if needed, on a separate call. They decided to skip the install.

The people who sold them the heater weren't very happy with me, but I still maintain that I did the proper and responsible thing, and I'd do it again. If their main breaker tripped, and I hadn't warned them about it, they'd blame me.

Just remember this: It's a tankless job. :cool:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes you need to look at how the customer will use this type of product also. Hence the reason I asked is it a vacation home. When I see vacation home I see this scenario. In the cold of winter the guest arrives. They turn on all the heaters because the house is only 50 deg. Then they may have had long drive so they take a shower before dinner. A whole housefull of guests this could be a potential heavy load on the panel. I've seen plenty of burned up buss bars in the dead of winter.

A normal household should not see these spikes in demand as all the electric heaters would not be on at once and for a long period of time.

benaround

A Tankless Water Manufacture claims that their 28.8 KW Intermittent electric device can be installed on one?s "home if the home has a 200 amp electrical service panel (or larger) you likely have enough service to power their unit"? I don?t see that this will work if the home has electric heat! What should my load calculation look like? :-?

IMO, Per 220.51 and 220.53 the tankless and the electric heat should be calculated at 100%

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I have wired only one up. When the HO went in to test it out I walked around to the meter hoping to see it spin, unfortunately it was digital.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.