Commercial Can Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

awc

Ok, can lighting going into drop ceiling in a commercial application..........do the lights have to be tied off to ceiling like the grid? I can't find a code reference saying they do but I could be overlooking it. Thanks in advance for your help!

raider1

Staff member
Also keep in mind that the building codes can contain requirements for seismic securing and supporting of equipment attached to ceiling grid systems.

Chris

awc

One more question.......sorry I should probably start a new thread?? But is there an article that focuses on Commercial Kitchens? We're doing a carry out pizza joint and I wanted to do some homework ahead of time. Maybe the pizza joint wouldn't fall under that anyways. Thanks in advance for your help.....by the way different job than the can lights.

Power Tech

Ok, can lighting going into drop ceiling in a commercial application..........do the lights have to be tied off to ceiling like the grid? I can't find a code reference saying they do but I could be overlooking it. Thanks in advance for your help!

We tie off exits, cans, pendants.

Also shoot wires for all conduit.

ID wires with paint is now standard here.

SEO

One more question.......sorry I should probably start a new thread?? But is there an article that focuses on Commercial Kitchens? We're doing a carry out pizza joint and I wanted to do some homework ahead of time. Maybe the pizza joint wouldn't fall under that anyways. Thanks in advance for your help.....by the way different job than the can lights.

If it has (an area with a sink and permanent facilities for food preparation and cooking) it has a kitchen. One section to pay attention to is 210.8(B).

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I thought in the 2008 code that all support wires had to be identified. (we're still in the 2005 and it is only required above fire rated ceilings).

Also you need to look at the "Guidelines for Seismis Restraint for Direct Hung Suspended Ceiling Assemblies" put out by CISCA and you need the one for your seismic zone. Here we make you put a wire on anything that's in the ceiling. If you were here for the '94 Northridge earthquake, you would understand.

raider1

Staff member
I thought in the 2008 code that all support wires had to be identified. (we're still in the 2005 and it is only required above fire rated ceilings).

Not in the 2008, but a proposal was accepted to require identification of all independant ceiling wires installed to support electrical equipment for the 2011 NEC. This is ROP 3-34.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Not in the 2008, but a proposal was accepted to require identification of all independant ceiling wires installed to support electrical equipment for the 2011 NEC. This is ROP 3-34.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I knew I had heard it somewhere.:) That's the problem when You're working out of three code cycles of the NEC and you start hearing about things for the fourth one.

Status
Not open for further replies.