I've seen it now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
looks like the new industry in California is Medicinal Cannabis.
here is a pic of the wonderful electrical installation the Growers installed for their farm.
DIY at its best.
The cops did not bust them but the code enforcement did. Yanked the meter as a fire hazard. :mad:

480sparky

I wondered why they paid me in cash for this job.

"Cash". Is that what they're calling it these days?
SmokingSmiley.gif

Whom ever installed is and over night sensation. I am sure the owner did not call a contractor because we are evil and crooks,we charge to much,too high, ect...... Owner must call him back for more Quality Installs. That is why they need more Yearly inspections, so that the inspectors can find code violations like this and put pressure on owners to hire people with a clue.

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Whom ever installed is and over night sensation. I am sure the owner did not call a contractor because we are evil and crooks,we charge to much,too high, ect...... Owner must call him back for more Quality Installs. That is why they need more Yearly inspections, so that the inspectors can find code violations like this and put pressure on owners to hire people with a clue.

did you notice that this was a setup of a Pot farm. Timers to fool the plants. You really expect a qualified EC to have even got close to this job?

iwire

Staff member
did you notice that this was a setup of a Pot farm. Timers to fool the plants. You really expect a qualified EC to have even got close to this job?

Did you notice it was for 'medical pot' so it was not illegal ..... well at least the crop was not ....... the wiring on the other hand. :grin:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Did you notice it was for 'medical pot' so it was not illegal ..... well at least the crop was not ....... the wiring on the other hand. :grin:
Medical yes legal the cops did not confiscate the plants as they had the paperwork.

The fire dept and code enforcement had a warrent to shut down because of a fire hazard. The tennant was told to call a licensed EC to get the power restored. I had to remove all the DIY wireing to get a meter back. No plants were there that I saw. They moved them somewhere else.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
OK, those cables would really love some supporting and securing, and 5 NM cables through a 3/4" knockout is excessive.

But I'm not really seeing anything that looks that bad. At least, I'm not seeing anything bad enough to warrant pulling the meter. What is it that you guys see that looks so bad?

I'm not siding with the people who grow this stuff, but do you think there may have been just a little bit of politics going on with the decision to pull the meter??

danickstr

i think its the use of the EGC as the neutral that is the big issue, and maybe the load is off for the size of wire and such. I don;t think it is the most scary thing I have ever seen either, since they seemed to try to terminate stuff well.

Just don't know there is 8-3 wire made I guess. Only familiar with 8-2:)
I guess the intermatic could fry up (probably rated for 20a although I think there are 40's) if it is sucking 60 or 80 amps.

Last edited:

e57

Last week - I still had a resume posted somewhere - some idiot got a hold of my number and called looking for me to wire up a house for a "legal medical pot farm" - I sat for a second stering at my phone.... "Ah sorry that is a no....."

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Last week - I still had a resume posted somewhere - some idiot got a hold of my number and called looking for me to wire up a house for a "legal medical pot farm" - I sat for a second stering at my phone.... "Ah sorry that is a no....."

Why not if He's got a permit. Money is money. I hate potheads I hate employees like that. Today money is money.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
i think its the use of the EGC as the neutral that is the big issue, and maybe the load is off for the size of wire and such. I don;t think it is the most scary thing I have ever seen either, since they seemed to try to terminate stuff well.

Just don't know there is 8-3 wire made I guess. Only familiar with 8-2:)
I guess the intermatic could fry up (probably rated for 20a although I think there are 40's) if it is sucking 60 or 80 amps.

Take a look closer.
14-2 0n 20 amp breaker
8-2 used as a feeder breakerd at 50 amps.
Water heater time/clocks rated at 30-40 amps on a 50 amp breaker.
No strapping NM wire run all over the place in a finished space.
I did not take a pic of the grow rooms but the lights had open splices.
The outlets had open grounds.
Just to name a few.

hurk27

Take a look closer.
14-2 0n 20 amp breaker
Just to name a few.

EGC's used as neutrals, (probably the reason of the open grounds, there was none left to ground the receptacles)

only 3-wire to a sub.

at least they put the MBJ in;)

macmikeman

Take a look closer.
14-2 0n 20 amp breaker
Just to name a few.

What do you expect???? They are potheads......

Status
Not open for further replies.