Service equipment- US Voltage on European equipt.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDV

Hey! I am working in Iraq and found an oddball situation. A 120/208 generator supplying 120/208 60hz to overcurrent devices, RCD's(GFCI) and receptacles that are marked 220/ 400 50hz. Does this sound right and where do I locate in the NEC? The BLS does not cover our voltage nor does ours cover their voltage... I was not comfortable with this installation considering it is in a building with an identical panel for 220/400V. It is a little confusing.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Welcome to the forum!

Kind of an ugly situation. Don't know how, or what you have for a supply house there, but any chance of making it all US, or all British, on a dwelling by dwelling basis?

Thank you for taking on a job in a tough place!

MDV

No supply house!

No supply house!

No, nothing here to fix it with except to order from the military and that will be a long wait. What really bugs me is the fact we use two generators, 120/208 and a 220/400 and the cables from seperate sources are in the same channel (plastic stuff that looks like oversized data keeper channel, lick and stick). This stuff has no barrier between voltages and the cable insulation, as best I can find out, is good for 250V.
Don't even get me started on Bonding and grounding!
Blessings, Mark

pfalcon

Voltage on the outlet should match the labeling.

Common voltage use is 230/415V @ 50 hz
or 120/208V @ 60 hz

They use two different outlet styles. See 110.3(B) which states as a blanket that equipment shall be used as listed or labeled.

dbuckley

I am not convinced that all 400/230 RCDs will work satisfactorally on 208/120; those with electronics inside require the right supply voltage or the electronics will not have the ability to do its job.

Moving into guesswork territory, if the test button works, then I suspect the RCD will work as a whole, but saying that I'd rather it wasn't my life on the end of that RCD.

Circuit breakers should be OK, they seem pretty much not to care about voltage, as they either work through thermal or magnetic effects, both of which rely on current.

Under British regs you can happily mix voltages in a raceway as long as the insulation of all cables is good for the highest (phase to ground) voltage encountered. So if all the wiring is rated for 250V then you can happily use it for 120V.

buldogg

Welcome to the forum!

Kind of an ugly situation. Don't know how, or what you have for a supply house there, but any chance of making it all US, or all British, on a dwelling by dwelling basis?

Thank you for taking on a job in a tough place![/QUOTE]

I'll second that!

MDV

Sat lines down!

Sat lines down!

Sorry to not respond, it is not always easy to get a line out here.
The question I have is a circuit breaker effected by the frequency? If you operate a CE approved 220/400V breaker on a system with a frequency of 60Hz rather than the 50Hz listed on the product will the breaker over heat?
I'm veering into another forum but I do wish to ask another question of anyone wishing to answer, this is also seen here in Iraq. What are the damages that can be caused to water heater (208/220V, 60Hz) that is wired to operate at 220V (Hot and Neutral) 50Hz? My belief is if the neutral is damaged the water heater and then the water will carry the imbalance?
I have gone round and round on this one and figure it is only for my peice of mind that I ask all of you for your advice.
Thank You all on these issues!
Mark

pfalcon

... A 120/208 generator supplying 120/208 60hz to overcurrent devices, RCD's(GFCI) and receptacles that are marked 220/ 400 50hz. Does this sound right and where do I locate in the NEC? ...

NEC 110.3 Outlet listed for 220V not 120V. Use of incorrect style of outlet could cause serious injury, death, or equipment damage when someone plugs in the wrong equipment.

Rockyd said:
Thank you for taking on a job in a tough place!

I second that.

MDV said:
... The question I have is a circuit breaker effected by the frequency? ... to water heater? ...

Typically no problem. Frequency problems are usually found on timing device that use the hz for their clock. Also on direct wired motors such as cooling fans whose RPM is based on the hz; thus causing an approximate 17% drop in RPM. Which is why your hair dryer overheats and burns up.

Check your downstream devices for RPM and timing issues. Changing 60hz to 50hz - Slows down and maybe burns up. Changing 50hz to 60hz - Overspeeds.

Better yet. Get the devices back to their listed voltages and frequency. Again 110.3 requires they are wired as listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.