testing lights with emergency battery ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

One of the folks asked me, if he has around 150 fluorescent lights (with emergency battery ballast and test switch) installed on high ceiling around
22 feet. Contractor do not want to climb up there and test light by light to make sure emergency bat. ballast works. It will takes a lot of their time. This test is required monthly.

My suggestion is they go to the panel and flip the CB which controls circuit has those bat. ballasts light add see if the bat. ballast kick on when loosing power. Is there any other simple solution for this? I heard something like remote test switch but that will add cost to project. Thanks!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Low tech solutions are still the best IMO, shutting off the breaker(s) is a good way to test them.

Roger

broadgage

If only a brief test test is required then this may be done whenever convienient, by turning off the breaker(s).

If however a full discharge test is required, then IMHO it should be done outside of working hours, to ensure that the batteries are recharged before the building is next occupied.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm just shocked someone is actually going to test these things. On a monthly basis no less.

I know its code, but after the initial inspection, I think this stuff is normally just forgotten.

Steve

bsh

Per NFPA Life Safety Code 101 section 7.9.3.1.1 they are supposed to be tested once a month to make sure they work and annually for 1 1/2 hours.
IMO turning off the breaker is the best way to do this.
Now all yo have to do is figure out which breakers are used for the lighting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.