334.15 c

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I thought there was an exception to 334.15 C that would allow fastening NM-B smaller than #6 0r #8's directly to the lower edges of the floor joists without having to bore holes if there was a dropped ceiling being utilized. Can someone enlighten me?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Here, if a drop ceiling is utilized it is not longer an "unfinished basement", so 334.15(C) doesn't apply. The downside is 210.52 does.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
334.15 is for exposed work. If above a ceiling, it won't be exposed.

Volta, what about:
Exposed (as applied to wiring methods). On or attached to the surface or behind panels designed to allow access.

(food for thought) :)

mcclary's electrical

Volta, what about:
Exposed (as applied to wiring methods). On or attached to the surface or behind panels designed to allow access.

334.15 (c) does not use the word exposed, it only says unfinished basements, if the basement meets requirements of 210.52 for being finished, then 334.15 (c) does not apply, I WILL NOT agree that a ceiling ALONE makes this a finished basement, It takes required outlets and ceiling to make it finished, IMO

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
334.15 (c) does not use the word exposed, it only says unfinished basements, if the basement meets requirements of 210.52 for being finished, then 334.15 (c) does not apply, I WILL NOT agree that a ceiling ALONE makes this a finished basement, It takes required outlets and ceiling to make it finished, IMO
I will agree. I "ceiling=unfinished" has been more an accepted practice here than actual NEC. From your comment, I would think we are both in agreement it must meet 334.15(C) or 210.52, correct ?

Volta

Volta, what about:

Good point. I'll be thinking about that one. Hard to say that a grid ceiling doesn't contain panels designed to allow access! I wonder why the definition is written that way . . . :confused:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Good point. I'll be thinking about that one. Hard to say that a grid ceiling doesn't contain panels designed to allow access! I wonder why the definition is written that way . . . :confused:

A "Catch 22" , I think. Were it not worded that way you would not be allowed to place J boxes there.

cpal

A "Catch 22" , I think. Were it not worded that way you would not be allowed to place J boxes there.

Probably so other requirments in the Code,to not conceal componets of various wiring methods does not restrict such installations in suspended ceilings.

The determination of whether a basement is finished or not is not part of the NEC, it is a building code. My experience of how building departments deteremine what is and is not a finished basement is not the same from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I believe it is up to the inspector and the installer to be aware of what each municipality is using to determine a finish or unfinished basement

Status
Not open for further replies.