Wiring a relay for receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveselectric

How would one wire a relay to disconnect power to a receptacle. The relay would be operated by a micro switch from a fire supression system? What material / products would be used?

480sparky

If the relay itself can handle the load, use the microswitch itself.

If not, run power through the microswitch to the coil of the relay, and the power for the recep through the contacts.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I like RIBs for some applications, contactors for others. Grainger sells a couple of the RIB models.

Those are pretty neat. It looks like it saves a mounting enclosure at the least.

I think I've seen Iwire mention these before. If I remember right, RIB stands for "Relay In a Box"?

Steve

cadpoint

How would one wire a relay to disconnect power to a receptacle?

Is this for when a potential switch is brought into a console or some other re-located "something?

Or does the use of this RIB present an over-ride to the switch, thus being a killed thus a dead switch.

Or is this Rib act as a controlled N/O or N/C contactor?

Frankly, I'm just trying to gather exact thoughts of these applications; I understand my first question but can't wrap my mind around the second two.

Thanks in advance!

I forgot to read the overview...

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I remember right, RIB stands for "Relay In a Box"?
It does. I've used them often in fire-suppression wiring. They attach directly to an existing box with a 1/2" locknut.

The ones I get from Grainger have dual-voltage control (24 and 120vac) and 20a SPDT contacts, and an LED on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.