How Many Violations (MC Cable to EMT Transition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I'll get a picture of this tonight, but I was doing a rough-in at my church yesterday and saw a recent A/C unit (Mitsubishi package unit) install. At both ends of the MC Cable it was just stuffed into a raceway as follows:

1) At the panel, it was shoved into a 5' section of EMT that brought it from above the ceiling into the panelboard (no fitting). Didn't even ream the end of the EMT.

2) At the disconnect it was shoved into a section of Sealtite to cover the outdoor portion.

This certainly violates 300.12: "Metal or nonmetallic raceways, cable armors, and cable sheaths shall be continuous between cabinets, boxes, fittings, or other enclosures or outlets."

Any others.

Since this is my church, I'll be taking this up with the installer and would like all the ammo I can get.

Thanks,

Mark

Mr. Bill

330.30(B)
Securing. Unless otherwise provided, cables shall be secured at intervals not exceeding 1.8m (6ft). Cables containing four or fiewer conductorws sized no larger than 10 awg shall be secured within 30mm (12 in.) of every box, cabinet, fitting, or other cable termination.

raider1

Staff member
Unless the MC cable was listed for use in a wet location the portion of the MC cable outside stuffed in the sealtight flex would be a violation of 330.10(A)(11).

Also was the sheath of the MC cable grounded and bonded?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.